Is this ENT or Innerduct - does it matter?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tx2step

How can you tell the difference between ENT and Innerduct? I can't read the markings on whatever it is, and I'm not that familiar with innerduct. This stuff is corrugated, blue and looks like 1-1/2" ENT to me, but I'm not really sure.

Maybe in this case it doesn't matter?

Whatever it is, it is installed in some exposed locations in a 5 story VA hospital. Mainly exposed from the tops of some panels up into a suspended ceiling, which leaves about 24" to 36" of it exposed (in a number of locations). It's also exposed in some mechanical rooms and electrical closets. It's not just stub-ups, it's a complete end-to-end raceway system run from panel to panel.

The building is fully fire sprinkled.

If it's ENT, then I think this exposed use would be prohibited by 2005 NEC 362.12(7) since this building is over 3 stories.

I think that earlier NEC versions would have also prohibited it from being installed above the suspended ceilings, too, unless the ceiling tile had a 15 minute Finish Rating (fire resistance rating), which I don't think that standard ceiling tile has?

This raceway has fiber optic cable installed in it (and in some cases it also has some separate power limited fire alarm cables installed as well). Installation of this fiber optic cable in some form of conduit (type was unspecified) was required by the VA hospital. They're just not sure that what got installed meets code.

I don't think it will matter, but the fiber optic cable that's installed in this raceway is nonconductive type OFNR.

If it is Innerduct, then it looks to me like 770.12(B) requires that the Innerduct be treated as ENT? Wouldn't this prohibit it from being installed exposed under the same conditions as where exposed ENT is prohibited?

Also, the connectors used to attach it to the panels are EMT set-screw connectors. That can't be kosher on this stuff.

Also, it's supported to the various structures with tywraps, not by regular conduit straps. Is this normal?

I'd post a few pictures, but I haven't a clue as to how to do that. If someone would care to enlighten me on how to do that, I'll post some.

Anyway, the question at this point is -- is this raceway installed in compliance with NEC, and if not, what are the violations. The VA wants to know, and there is no AHJ in this case (except for the VA itself, and they don't know).

What do you guys think?

Edited to fix spelling

[ September 01, 2005, 09:55 PM: Message edited by: tx2step ]

marinesgt0411

Re: Is this ENT or Innerduct - does it matter?

OK I'll go out on the limb and have it chopped off

This is my opinion only and I may be wrong

800.48 in brief says in accordance with 362.24 through 362.56

362.24 - 362.56 bends, trimming,securing,supports,bushings joints, and taps

362.12 does not apply in this situation (exposed),362.10 above third floor also does not apply.

now the big one tywraps yes permitted it just says secured and supported it does not specify how.

the innerduct I have seen is a little thinner then ent. it is either red,yellow,blue,or orange and has a pull line in it before any cable is installed.

it is OK to install as discribed except maybe the connectors
anyway that is my opinion and I am sticking to it

raider1

Staff member

I just finished a code update class and we talked about Innerduct. The instructor said that NEC 2005 Article 353, covers that.

The article is called "High Density Polyethylene Conduit: Type HDPE Conduit." It was explained to us that this conduit looks like blue poly water pipe, but it can be different colors. It comes on rolls and can have the wire already installed in it.

353.12 Uses not permitted
(1) Where exposed
(2) Within a building

Chris.

[ September 02, 2005, 12:01 PM: Message edited by: raider1 ]

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems

Innerduct and HDPE are two different animals.

HDPE is primarily used with underground directional boring equipment.

Innerduct is used to provide a raceway within a raceway.

770.12(C) says a listed [fiber] optical raceway may be installed inside of other raceways. Exception #1 to 830.133(A)(1) does not specifically say inneduct but it does talk about a divider internal to raceways.

dillon3c

Originally posted by jim dungar:
Innerduct and HDPE are two different animals.

HDPE is primarily used with underground directional boring equipment.

Innerduct is used to provide a raceway within a raceway.
Mr. Dungar,

I had agreed, with your same line of thinking.I attended a 2005 code class.And I'm ashamed to say I wasn't getting the same description that this gentleman(Raider) is describing in his post.

But just being a Electrician,and before I made any statements derogatory to his posting,I thought I'd go to the Manufacturer.

And have a look around..

http://www.carlon.com/scripts/emAlbum.cgi?cmd=show_thumbs&path=High%20Density%20Polyethlyene&img=40&page=2&tn=1

raider1

Staff member

If I have misunderstood what innerduct is I apologize. The gentleman that taught this class was calling HDPE innerduct. I was not sure if the material used as innerduct was HDPE or not. I have only installed innerduct once in my career and it was direct buried between two buildings. :confused:

Chris.

dillon3c

Originally posted by jim dungar:
This is part of the problem of using slang terms.
Mr. Dungar,
I see what you mean now....Personally I haven't installed this stuff as of yet.Only the 2005 classroom description,and the "big yellow book" w/ the four authors,was my extent of knowledge on this subject.

Cruising this site and the information and data as a whole,alleviates some confusion.

raider1

Staff member

I also have been doing some searching for info on innerduct. There are several different types of innerduct.

There are HDPE types and plenum types. I am glad I looked this up. Serves me right for not checking out my facts before making a post.

Thanks for setting me straight. :D :D

Chris

tx2step

The following site shows examples of the type of interior-use Interduct that this stuff might possibly be.

http://www.carlon.com/PyramidDocs/Interior_Raceways.pdf

The existing raceway is corrugated, it's blue and it looks like ENT. I can't read the markings on it.

It's not installed within other conduit or ducts. It's run directly exposed and also above suspended ceilings around the building by itself like ENT.

If it is ENT, then I think it's prohibited in the exposed application because the building is over 3 stories (it's 5 stories). 362.12(7) ???

If it's Interduct, then I'm not certain what parts of the NEC it is really governed by. That's what I'm trying to determine. I think that 770.12(B) will apply, but I'm not certain. If so, then I don't know if exposed installation in buildings over 3 stories is prohibited as it is for ENT.

I can't imagine that using EMT set-screw connectors on it and attaching it to the structure with tywraps is allowed, but I'm not sure what would prohibit it.

It has fiber optic cable installed in all of it and it has power limited fire alarm cable installed in about 1/3 of it.

How can I determine what it is, and what parts of the NEC applie to its installation?

tx2step

I thought that this was more appropriate in the NEC forum, but maybe it would be better in the LV & LE forum?

Maybe the guys that frequent that forum use more of this stuff, know more about it and know what portions of the NEC apply?

Status
Not open for further replies.