is this legal

Status
Not open for further replies.

lshaff01

Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
While working in some relatively new homes, I noticed some questionable wiring practices. All 20 amp circuits were wired with 20-amp breakers and 12-gauge everywhere with one exception. All outlets and switches were connected with short 14-gauge jumpers. While I believe this is probably is not a real world problem, is this be a code violation? All work was permitted, inspected, and signed off.

kwired

Electron manager
I agree it is likely not a real world problem but also don't see that it would be allowed for general use lighting and receptacle circuits. Could be allowed with motors, appliances, HVAC equipment though as those code sections have modified overcurrent protection rules from the general rules.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
While working in some relatively new homes, I noticed some questionable wiring practices. All 20 amp circuits were wired with 20-amp breakers and 12-gauge everywhere with one exception. All outlets and switches were connected with short 14-gauge jumpers. While I believe this is probably is not a real world problem, is this be a code violation? All work was permitted, inspected, and signed off.

Definitely not compliant

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
If a switch is rated for 15 amps an loaded to 15 amps or less why wouldn't it be code complaint? 600 watt dimmers have like #16 leads on them.

kwired

Electron manager
It just seems silly that a 15 amp switch is permitted on a 20 amp circuit but a #14 pigtail to the 15 amp switch is not permitted.
I agree with you, and don't really question that as much as a #14 pigtail to a 20 amp receptacle on a 20 amp circuit. This is not the same as the commonly seen 14 AWG "switch loop" run on a 20 amp circuit either.

Now that HID luminaires or heavy duty incandescent lamps (like 500 -2000 watt types) are not so common anymore this doesn't come up much anymore but when they were you could tap lesser rated receptacles supplying those from a 50 amp circuit and not have to provide additional overcurrent protection.

Knuckle Dragger

Master Electrician Electrical Contractor 01752
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I'm so guilty of this in a residential kitchen/ dining room : #14 off of a #12 to a counter receptacle or switch.

kwired

Electron manager
Here is the code to cite:

1682885157014.png

If you have an application that fits into 240.3 (other articles) you possibly could use the smaller pigtail.

My earlier mentioned appliances, motors, the HID or heavy duty lamp holder situations do all fall in 240.3. Otherwise the general rule requires conductors to be protected according to their ampacity.

jap

Occupation
Electrician
It's a dividing line of responsibility.

We can only defend what is or what is not allowed by the NEC.

JAP>

steve66

Occupation
Engineer
Here is the code to cite:

View attachment 2565061

If you have an application that fits into 240.3 (other articles) you possibly could use the smaller pigtail.

My earlier mentioned appliances, motors, the HID or heavy duty lamp holder situations do all fall in 240.3. Otherwise the general rule requires conductors to be protected according to their ampacity.
I'm not saying its allowed, but to me, the odd thing here is that #14 wire is actually rated for 20 amps.

macmikeman

I'm not saying its allowed, but to me, the odd thing here is that #14 wire is actually rated for 20 amps.
"Was" rated for 20 amps, just before the machine sewed it along with two other conductors into the sheath of the NM cable. As soon as that happened it dropped to 15 amps max as per the 60 deg column of table 310-15

steve66

Occupation
Engineer
I could be wrong, but I don’t actually see NM cable mentioned upon the original post.
Maybe it’s safe to assume it’s NM cable, but it could also be wire in conduit.
Or what if it’s short pieces of wire pulled out of the NM sheath, and just used inside the box? I think that might be what the OP meant.

lshaff01

Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
I have been advised that the situation described above is to code per NEC Table 310.15(B)(16) if the jumpers are THHN/THWN and if the terminations are rated at 75C. This section talks about wires in conduit. Are wires in conduit different than wires in a box? Do you think if the wires were THHN/THWN then this situation would be to code. Thanks

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Are wires in conduit different than wires in a box? Do you think if the wires were THHN/THWN then this situation would be to code. Thanks
In the box or in a raceway the rules are the same. Article 240 limits the #14 AWG protection to 15 amps in the OP's installation.

kwired

Electron manager
Yes it is rated for 20 amps but 240.4(D) says it must be protected at 15 amps as a general rule, other articles mentioned in 240.3 may allow otherwise.

Common example might be a air conditioner or motor circuit that requires a conductor ampacity of 18 amps - this can utilize 14 AWG conductor @ 75deg C and is code compliant, and the short circuit/ground fault protection might actually be 25 or 30 amps and is still compliant.

Status
Not open for further replies.