Is this readily accessible?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tortuga

Code Historian
Occupation
Electrical Design
When Installing a non fused disconnect for ac solar modules, 690.6(C) refers one to 690.17 and 690.16.
690.17 (1) states readily accessible. Is there any other requirement that states a specific height?
240.24 would apply if there were fuses in the disconnect.

The disconnect is at about 7-7" to top of handle in on (closed) position off finished grade.
However there are steps immediately next to the disconnect going up to a door. Making the disconnect at about 1 foot to your left 6 feet off the 2nd step, and less from the door.
There is other electrical equipment under the disconnect preventing it from moving downward.
Is this readily accessible ?
Thanks in advance.

jaggedben

Occupation
Solar and Energy Storage Installer
non fused disco is a knife switch. 2011 code 404.8 (A) exception no. 2 correct??

I don't see how the exception would apply since I don't see how the disco is likely to be 'adjacent' to the equipment.

I think the switch needs to be less than 6'-7" off the ground. If the AHJ can be convinced that the the switch can be reached from the step, then maybe it's okay. Otherwise it's a problem.

Also, as far as I know, there are currently no AC modules available on the market, just modules that come with attached micro-inverters. So 690.6 doesn't apply. But it doesn't make a difference in this case because 690.15 points to the same requirements in 690.17.

Status
Not open for further replies.