Is this tap legal?

Tainted

Occupation
Engineer (PE)
There are 3 phases that feed the bus bars of a panel as shown in picture below. The left and middle phases are tapped. The right phase is not tapped.

Is there anything in the code that prevents us from tapping this bus? I've heard that it might be illegal because it can cause unbalance of the feeders.

1726578044680.png

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
About the only thing that would make it illegal is if it compromised the existing bus by drilling a hole. And who knows maybe those were factory holes. Since that's a 1/4" screw I wouldn't worry about it. Any imbalance would need to be part of a load calculation.

Tainted

Occupation
Engineer (PE)
About the only thing that would make it illegal is if it compromised the existing bus by drilling a hole. And who knows maybe those were factory holes. Since that's a 1/4" screw I wouldn't worry about it. Any imbalance would need to be part of a load calculation.
Might be drilled, the nuts do not really look like they are centered

wwhitney

Occupation
Retired
The distance between the lug on the middle busbar and the left busbar is clearly less than the distance between the busbars. I would think that may be a problem and that the lug should be rotated not to overhang the middle busbar.

Cheers, Wayne

Last edited:

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
The distance between the lug on the middle busbar and the left busbar is clearly less than the distance between the busbars. I would think that may be a problem and that the lug could be rotated not to overhang the middle busbar.
What is the minimum required distance for 208 volts? Looks like it's been there for a very long time without any issue.

wwhitney

Occupation
Retired
What is the minimum required distance for 208 volts? Looks like it's been there for a very long time without any issue.
I don't know, and one could research that and maybe figure out that it's OK. But the manufacturer picked a distance between the busses for a reason, and the obvious way to make a change like adding those lugs is to maintain that distance so you don't have to do that research.

Cheers, Wayne

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I don't know, and one could research that and maybe figure out that it's OK. But the manufacturer picked a distance between the busses for a reason, and the obvious way to make a change like adding those lugs is to maintain that distance so you don't have to do that research.

Cheers, Wayne
Also the lug is offset so the distance may be the same. Hard to tell from the photo.

wwhitney

Occupation
Retired
Also the lug is offset so the distance may be the same. Hard to tell from the photo.
It is obvious from the picture that the distance is less. The offset out of plane is less than the lug projects to the left. And even if it were the same, that would result in a shorter distance to the corner of the left hand busbar.

Cheers, Wayne

winnie

Occupation
Electric motor research
The distance between the lug on the middle busbar and the left busbar is clearly less than the distance between the busbars. I would think that may be a problem and that the lug should be rotated not to overhang the middle busbar.

Cheers, Wayne

1) IMHO that is a good idea and should have been considered when the lug was initially installed.

2) The the manufacturer probably uses the same bus bar spacing for everything up to 600V, and this is likely not a problem.

-Jonathan

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
The the manufacturer probably uses the same bus bar spacing for everything up to 600V, and this is likely not a problem.
I think that you're correct. For old 208 volt bolt-on panels they have stabs that accommodate 1" wide breakers so the stabs are typically less than 1/2" apart.

Seven-Delta-FortyOne

Goin’ Down In Flames........
Occupation
EC and GC
There are some panelboards/switchgear that the manufacturer states that the bars may not be drilled, so that would create a 110.3(B) violation.

I was talking to a buddy of mine the other day, and they had to disassemble a giant piece of switchgear to get it into the basement, and they had to call out a factory rep to check and make sure the bolts were torqued properly after reassembly. 🙄

ggunn

PE (Electrical), NABCEP certified
Occupation
Consulting Electrical Engineer - Photovoltaic Systems
Is there any reason why the listing of the equipment might be invalidated by drilling new holes in the busbars? I have seen clamp-on type lugs advertised on line that do not require drilling holes in a bus.

Fred B

Occupation
Electrician
Is there a minimum TPI for attaching screws / bolts on a bus connection like referenced for a receptacle/switch of 32TPI?