Island and peninsula receptacle location

Status
Not open for further replies.

highvolts582

I used to get it now I don't I read 5 times and I don't get it. I have 2 beach cottages one with and island and one with peninsula. All flat surface. Nothing like sinks or ovens. Each counter top has 10 inch over hang on all sides except draw and cabinet door side. Does anyone think it's ok to locate receptacles under the 10 inch overhang near corner close to the cabinet and draw side or should I have told these people they can not have the over hang on end of peninsula to. I left the whip and I was going to read the code later and work it out now I don't see a clear way through maybe I am missing something installing tomorrow any advice would be a god send.

Thanks
Mike

iwire

Staff member
They either have to get rid of the overhang or you need to put a receptacal on top of the counter.

Last edited:

Ponchik

Occupation
Electronologist
The restriction of 6" overhang and max 12" below the countertop is so there is no excess appliance cord hanging down from the top.
But I think it will be OK if you install under the overhang but closer to the edge of vs closer to the cabinet. This way there is very little cord hanging down from the counter top.

But again the book says maximum of 6" overhang.

Last edited:

texie

Occupation
Electrician, Contractor, Inspector
Interesting dilemma. It would seem the only way to be compliant in this case would be to use one of those new "pop-up" receps that are approved for kitchen and bath counters. I'm not sure how Ms. home owner would feel about one of these in the top surface of the counter. But even if code did not require it, as a practicle matter I don't think any one would be happy without a recep for the Island or peninsula.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I used to get it now I don't I read 5 times and I don't get it. I have 2 beach cottages one with and island and one with peninsula. All flat surface. Nothing like sinks or ovens. Each counter top has 10 inch over hang on all sides except draw and cabinet door side. Does anyone think it's ok to locate receptacles under the 10 inch overhang near corner close to the cabinet and draw side or should I have told these people they can not have the over hang on end of peninsula to. I left the whip and I was going to read the code later and work it out now I don't see a clear way through maybe I am missing something installing tomorrow any advice would be a god send.

Thanks
Mike

That might be the best location.

highvolts582

I don't like where this is going

I don't like where this is going

I feel like this my fault in a way. But yet not. What if I install plug mold box under counter facing down within 6 inches of edge? And carefully hammer drill and anchor it to granite.

iwire

Staff member
LOL. I guess you are right. And I thought the "pop-up" was bad! I'll leave it to you to sell Ms. homeowner on this.:) I can just picture trying to sell this to my wife.:happyno:

:D

Yeah it would be tough sell.

Would you accept a cord drop from a retractor reel?

John120/240

And carefully hammer drill and anchor it to granite.

The granite guy does all drilling & whatnot to his granite countertop. Too much liability for me.

Have put recptacles in a dead space on the drawer side before & worked great. Or put the

recpatcle close to the edge under the 10" overhang & beg for forgiveness from the inspector.

highvolts582

Under granite shallow plug mold box.

Under granite shallow plug mold box.

If a box could be attached to bottom would it be legal 1 is not installed yet I could tell the lady to have the granite guys attach the box. The other one is thick as scary as it is I could pull it off.

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician
I know it is too late now, but for mine, I got my inspection before the countertops were installed. Mine has 8-14" overhang (oblong top on a square base). I fought through the requirement also until the cabinet guy said he would wait until final is done. Seems to me that would be an article destined for refinement...
I would also suggest NOT drilling the underside of the top and installing anchors in it. That would be a breakage waiting to happen. Construction adhesive would be better if you chose that route. (if the AHJ would allow it)

Last edited:

highvolts582

We're talking about granite its tuff as hell.

We're talking about granite its tuff as hell.

Baby anchors with washers would work great with a hammer drill with that goes zzzzzzzzz not dadadadadada. What do think the top of dishwasher anchors to I have done its ok. Nothing will
Break.

John120/240

Baby anchors with washers would work great with a hammer drill with that goes zzzzzzzzz not dadadadadada. What do think the top of dishwasher anchors to I have done its ok. Nothing will
Break.

If you are comfortable doing it, have at it. Know your limitations, do what your are expert at &

let the other experts do their thing. My .02

highvolts582

Other option

Other option

This one is stinky but how bout making one of the draws in front immovable and putting it there.

So I got top corner close to no over hang. If inspector is cool.

Mounting under counter within 6 inches of edge facing down. Legal but spooky attachment

And immovable draw on front. I know customer will give hell no. But legal.

Receptacle on top. Super ugly . I will get a no. But at least they will mention me to there friends when they ask What the hell is that on your counter?

A way will present itself when I speak to all party's thanks everyone for replying my new lesson is to ask people what they are doing earlier

Status
Not open for further replies.