Island recep; no base cabinets. Just four posts

Status
Not open for further replies.

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
Working on a residential project where I provided two conduits under the slab to kitchen island space; one extends to the panel, the other up a wall to the attic for a switch leg.

The owner decided to not have cabinets, but rather four corner posts with a slab of granite on top. I discussed implications of 210.52 and the fact that there are no exceptions. Owner was adamant he did not want a receptacle at the island.

I asked if he could install the island after final, the answer was no. The posts are attached directly to the concrete slab via a bracket and needed to be installed before flooring.

I discussed with the inspector, and he allowed me the option of a floor box. Today we cut the slab out and installed a PVC floor box connecting both conduits.

It seems to me the only code-allowed installation would have been to route the conduit to one of the posts (it came up about 12” from the nearest post) and extend up the post to a surface mounted box to be within 12” of the countertop. Aesthetically this would not have looked good.

The floor box is done and it will pass, but I’m curious what other opinions are specifically for this type of island? Do you think this should be addressed in the code specifically to state it must be mounted on a post, or that an exception should be made that allows a floor box, or some other solution? I feel like the answer is that you run the conduit up the post, and if the HO doesn’t want to see it, construct the post in a way it can be wrapped and hidden, and build the other posts to match.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC
I asked the hypothetical question several weeks ago about what could you use for a kitchen floor box given that the floor will be wet mopped and likely flooded from time to time. So the question is not so hypothetical now. Didn't the inspector consider that fact?

-Hal

Clayton79

Occupation
Owner/operator
Cord on a reel from ceiling

We have drilled center of post before amd installed receptacle box directly into posts for log home. Maybe sawcut concrete and re route to center of leg?....

Greentagger

Occupation
Master Electrician, Electrical Inspector
A floor receptacle outlet does not meet the requirements of 210.52(C)(3). You were right on track with the idea of running up post within 12”. But then the receptacle would have to meet requirements of 210.52(C)(3)(3) and be within 6” of setback of countertop.
Unfortunately the Code does’nt really care of the owner wants it or not.

Strathead

Occupation
Electrician/Estimator/Project Manager/Superintendent

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
Interesting thoughts here. I’m going to ask inspector what he thinks about the table argument.

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
I would have tried to get the wire and outlet embedded in the post. You know one day down the road they will want to plug something in regardless of a code issue possibly not requiring one.

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
I think the table argument is a good one, and supported by common usage. If the inspector hadn't bought your solution, I would have suggested a facia wrapped around the underside of the granite slab so the front face of the facia was flush with the back side of the legs, make it 4-6" deep, run the conduit up one leg and across the backside of the facia and pick a spot to pop through the facia for your receptacle.

mikeames

Occupation
Teacher - Master Electrician - 2017 NEC
My first thought before I read others post was also table.

Additionally I think a floor recp actually makes the situation more dangerous and not less. The requirements 210.52(C)(3) makes sense, so there are no cords that can be tripped on or pull hot stuff off the counter. Adding a floor recep actually invites that. The install is safer in my opinion without a recep than with one in the floor.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
I don't like the floor idea either.

With a little handwork you could run some wire mold up the back of one of the legs and install a wiremode box on the side of a leg new the top. Would be hardly noticeable.

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC
... I think a floor recp actually makes the situation more dangerous and not less...The install is safer in my opinion without a recep than with one in the floor.

I agree. Since kitchen counter type appliances only have a two foot long cord, how would you connect them to a floor box without using an extension cord or outlet strip?

-Hal

McLintock

Occupation
Electrician
If someone could come up with a wireless 120v 20amp outlet they could make some big money and then you could put the outlet wherever you would like

“ shoot low boys their riding shetland ponies”

mopowr steve

Occupation
Electrical contractor
Sadly, Tesla took that technology to his grave. :(
Not really, radiated power is utilized all over the place. (Radio waves for example) albeit a low level of power by the time it reaches its destination. And not to long ago who made the Power Wall? That was supposed to emanate the EMF throughout ones home for wireless power consumption of small appliances.

macmikeman

I cannot understand why the compulsion of electrical inspectors to have to require even more stupid solutions to easily fixed issues if common sense is applied. On the other hand, If I was the inspector , I would have made the resident either install a pop up in the counter or else install some cabinets, simply because the concept of the 4 posts and a countertop is so outlandishly stupid and ugly in the first place. Not because of any internal obligation to enforce a silly ass code some how or another. By the way, last time I checked, 4 legs and a top is called a table not an island. Talk the owner into not attaching it at the leg bottoms and you don't have an Island countertop.

Status
Not open for further replies.