Isolated Grounds and Box Fill

Status
Not open for further replies.

BryKey

Never thought I would be perplexed enough to ask something so silly here.:confused:
I am currently adding Data and receptacles for computers in a school. Specs call for isolated ground for each receptacle. Of course this was not found in the specs until wire is being pulled. But the question, Does each isolated ground count as 1 in each box, or are they considered part of the equipment grounding conductors (314.16(B)(1) Exception)where they only need to be counted once?

raider1

Staff member
This is not a silly question.

If you read 314.16(B)(5) it makes mention of isolated grounds needing an additional volume allowance based on the largest isolated ground in the box. (Take a look at the last sentence of 314.16(B)(5))

Chris

BryKey

Duh me!
So what I see there is each set has to be counted. 3 in 2 out for a total of 5. If I am reading that correctly.

raider1

Staff member
Duh me!
So what I see there is each set has to be counted. 3 in 2 out for a total of 5. If I am reading that correctly.

No, the way I read that section you only need to count 1 for all the isolated grounding conductors and 1 for all the equipment grounding conductors.

Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.