Isolation Transformer as a Separately Derived System

Status
Not open for further replies.

Speedskater

Occupation
retired broadcast, audio and industrial R&D engineering
This would be in reference to say a 3 to 10kVA isolation transformer for an audio system in a residence or studio.
So the primary EGC makes it's way back to the main panel board, that's easy.

But for the secondary it's really a GEC (not a EGC) so how is it connected?

texie

Occupation
Electrician, Contractor, Inspector
This would be in reference to say a 3 to 10kVA isolation transformer for an audio system in a residence or studio.
So the primary EGC makes it's way back to the main panel board, that's easy.

But for the secondary it's really a GEC (not a EGC) so how is it connected?

The secondary would have to be grounded and connected to the building GES.
Not sure if you are intending "roll your own" with parts and pieces or use a prepackaged unit that has input and output breakers, bonding, etc. already done and installed. You just connect the prepacked units to the source power and connect the GES and you are done.
There are companies out there that package these such as Middle Atlantic that cater to the A/V market.

Speedskater

Occupation
The Middle Atlantic white paper is a great reference:
"Integrating Electronic Equipment and Power into Rack Enclosures"
'Optimized Power Distribution and Grounding for Audio, Video and Electronic Systems'
https://www.middleatlantic.com/resources/white-papers.aspx

The audio people doing these types of installs often use surplus laboratory/medical grade isolation transformers. The brand Topaz is common.

But my real question is how to get from the I.T. secondary to the GES system. Can the secondary GEC be the same wire as the primary EGC? Can the GEC be an unprotected wire? (I don't think so). If it's in a metal conduit then the conduit needs to be connected to it at both ends. What are the options?

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min from the winged horses.
Occupation
Licensed Electrician
The Middle Atlantic white paper is a great reference:
"Integrating Electronic Equipment and Power into Rack Enclosures"
'Optimized Power Distribution and Grounding for Audio, Video and Electronic Systems'
https://www.middleatlantic.com/resources/white-papers.aspx

The audio people doing these types of installs often use surplus laboratory/medical grade isolation transformers. The brand Topaz is common.

But my real question is how to get from the I.T. secondary to the GES system. Can the secondary GEC be the same wire as the primary EGC? Can the GEC be an unprotected wire? (I don't think so). If it's in a metal conduit then the conduit needs to be connected to it at both ends. What are the options?
Yes, the GEC can be ran unprotected if it's a 6AWG or larger. I'll sleeve them in straight sections of pvc for protection and neetness.

Speedskater

Occupation
Yes, the GEC can be ran unprotected if it's a 6AWG or larger. I'll sleeve them in straight sections of pvc for protection and neetness.
Thanks.
That also occurred to me late last night. (like in my basement)
But the transformer will probably use 10 or 12AWG wire. What might be some easy ways to wire the transformer?

Status
Not open for further replies.