Issues with Wsx PDT sensor switch

Status
Not open for further replies.

crazybott19

I seem to have blown all of my sensor switches when I turned the lighting on, the backs of them turned black and they would not work. I have proper voltage and it is wired correctly has anyone experienced a problem like this? I have ordered more, and perhaps they are defective but i want to be sure before I blow up more.
Thanks

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min from the winged horses.
Occupation
Licensed Electrician
Welcome to the forum.

What are you working on?

You say you have the correct voltage and everything is wired correctly. I don't doubt you, but if it were me, and it so happened that when I turned the power on every one of something blew up, I would be double checking my wiring before I blamed the components.

gar

Occupation
EE
150715-0959 EDT

crazybott19:

I quickly looked at the data on the WSD PDT 2P at http://www.sensorswitch.com/OnlineCatalog.aspx?sn=WSD PDT 2P
and it looks interesting.

You need to do some bench testing. Connect a new motion sensor in the two wire mode (default) to a 100 W incandescent load. Does it work correctly?

What voltage are you switching in the circuit where failures occur? What is your load in the circuit where failures occur?

Disassemble one of your failed motion sensors. Where, around what componets, does the failure appear to have occurred? An MOV is a likely failure if excess voltage was applied relative to its breakdown voltage. MOVs are likely a round disc 3/8" to 1/2" in diameter.

Since the WSD PDT 2P apparently has electromechanical relays for the output contacts these are not likely the cause of the failue unless you switched a dead short for the load.

crazybott19

Voltage is 277 which is correct, I've triple checked wiring accuracy. I have four of these 2 different lighting circuits I opened one up and it appears that it smoked the pcb track to the 12v coil inside, the only thing concerning to me might be that all of these are going into cut in boxes and the grounded casing fits snug inside however, I still can't imagine that being the problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.