IT Data Racks location

Status
Not open for further replies.

Davebones

We are having new data racks installed thru-out our manufacturing plant . They want to mount these about 8 ft up on the wall . These will have to be accessed by way of a ladder . Is there anything in the code that says you can't mount these like that ???

cadpoint

My local Box Store has a black box about that height over customer support.

Seems more of an after thought application. Besides it's all low voltage with maybe a quad receptacle, and probably has power bars or mini UPS in it.

It's usually for CPU's, or modems, routers, wireless broadcasting, etc.

Other than the guy that has to service it, and that's its ususally installed none working hours, out of sight from general public, I don't really see a problem with it.

MO
They are doing it to not have any coffee, snacks or even their own employees damage or tamper with the equipment.

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC
I was going to mention those Big Box stores also. Once again the NEC has little to say about low voltage though there is some debate as to whether the accessablity requirement applies to low voltage equipment and enclosures same as it does to panels etc. Since I see you are in Florida, one other thing you might want to check is the local building codes and any NEC ammendments. From what I understand they don't want things falling and flying around in hurricanes.

-Hal

stevebea

We are having new data racks installed thru-out our manufacturing plant . They want to mount these about 8 ft up on the wall . These will have to be accessed by way of a ladder . Is there anything in the code that says you can't mount these like that ???

The NEC is silent on this issue and in my IMHO it makes alot of sense to mount them out of the way and yet still be accessible. The price of a Cisco 48 port POE switch is quite expensive and if I was the one paying the bills I would not want it mounted in a cabinet at 5' AFF where the odds are much greater someone could hit it with a towmotor.

stevebea

Seems more of an after thought application. Besides it's all low voltage with maybe a quad receptacle, and probably has power bars or mini UPS in it.

Other than the guy that has to service it, and that's its ususally installed none working hours, out of sight from general public, I don't really see a problem with it.

MO
They are doing it to not have any coffee, snacks or even their own employees damage or tamper with the equipment.

I agree cadpoint. IT guy's are very territorial when it comes to their "gear" and even though the black box has a lock it could easily be defeated by some clown with a screwdriver and a little bit of time on his hands!;)

nhfire77

MO

I've did a few of those a while back. Its not just data there is other low voltage in there. It is fed with two quads. They are very nice high quality racks. And yes the reason its off the floor is like you said it keeps the employees off it, and the fork lifts away from it. Its not really an afterthought, just a easy place to drop it on a CAD plan ;) Also it makes retrofits/upgrades a PITA because you are working off a lift :)

Addressing the OP: In an industrial setting, having in 8 feet up might be a slight in convenience, but keeping it from damage is more important, IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.