IT Room Wiring

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here is the situation:
Cable tray in IT room which falls under all requirements of 645.2, run from loadcenter to above IT equipment racks. 12/3 type TC cable, not exceeding 15' in length per 645.5(b)2, marked "TC/CDRS GY/LE" can't find those letters in art.400, anyone know what they mean? Cable comes out of tray approx 12" to a 20A twistlock female cord cap to connect to the IT equip. Inspector won't pass citing "fixed equip." needs to be hardwired or a box w/ recp. on the tray. I interpret 645.5(b)2 to allow this install. Any opinions or code ref.'s to back this up would be appreciated, as I plan to call him on this.

hardworkingstiff

Re: IT Room Wiring

I've never considered installing a cord cap on a branch circuit. After considering it, I would tend to agree with the inspector. Any stresses from a piece of equipment with a cord on it should not pass through the plug to the receptacle then to the branch wiring conductors. If the branch conductors are installed in a box that is secured to a structure, then stresses on the receptacle are transferred to the structure instead of the branch circuit wiring.

I don't have a code reference for this thought process.

redfish

645.5 (B) Cord-and-Plug Connections The data processing system shall be permitted to be connected to a branch circuit by any of the following listed means:
(1) Flexible cord and attachment plug cap not to exceed 4.5 m (15 ft).
I agree with hardworkingstiff, it sounds like a cord and plug should be attached to the IT equipment and a receptacle to the branch circuit. :)

Thanks for the replies. After reading the posts I do agree with what you guys are saying, however the plant I am working at does not want to change the install as it was spec'd. to be installed this way and is installed the same at other plants in NY and VA and never a prob. w/ local AHJ's there. Any opinions from those areas? Has anyone ever had a Inspector sign off releasing his responsibility for a particular install? How likely would an Inspector be to do this?

ron

The only chance would be if you had the design engineer (Professional Engineer) write a letter stating that he/she feels that it is in compliance and why. If this was designed by anyone other than an engineer (maybe have a possibility to convince), then you are stuck with what the AHJ says.

While the install does not exactly meet code, it is in a locked/card access room that will only be entered by qualified maint. personnel. This being an industrial establishment that wants to maintain uniformity at multiple plant sites, does not want to change the install.

redfish

While on the subject, who would be responsible for possible equipment damage or malfunction if the AHJ were to let this slide? Of course the AHJ would, and you can't blame him for not wanting that to happen. I'd be willing to bet that given the choice between a formal letter from the PE accepting any liability for this install, or simply changing the spec, the PE will change the spec. Besides, who cares if the IT equipment in NY looks exactly like the one in VA, this install will probably be superior anyway. :)

ron

Where there is a small amount of ambiguity, a letter from a PE accepting the responsibility and taking the questionable installation off the AHJ's back, sometimes sways the AHJ's opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.