Ive changed my tune

Status
Not open for further replies.

southernboys

hey guys just wanted to say thanks again for correcting me on my thoughts of backfeeding a panel. Ill put it to you guys the more idiots that see a good electrician do it somewhat safely the more idiots we have thinking they know what there doing. I say this to let you guys know that unfortunately there was a lineman who wasa killed the other day due to a backfed panel. The local government will be prosecuting the person who hooked up the panel. So when you lay down tonight please say a prayer for this mans family as he came down to help us out. in conclusion DO NOT BACKFEED! HAND YOUR CUSTOMER SOME #12 AWG EXTENSION CORDS AND TELL THEM TO PLUG IT IN OUTDOORS! OR BETTER YET STOCK UP ON SOME MANUAL TRANSFER SWITCHES!

benaround

Re: Ive changed my tune

Southern,

Glad to see that Forum's advise sunk in,That is why when your boss tells you to do something that YOU know can hurt someone, you have to tell him NO! This would be a good example to throw back at him at a time like that. Anyway, Good for you.

frank

sceepe

I was talking to a guy last night about this. He was telling me how his electrician had made him a "special cord" for his generator and installed a 2 pole breaker feeding a plug for the "special cord". He was so excited about it. He then told me that you have to turn off the main breaker for some reason that he could not remember.

I explained to him why you have to turn off the main breaker and then asked him what happens when he sells the house to someone who is not as "knowledgeable" about electricity as he is. He had no reply. SCARRY AND SAD

peter

Southernboys,
If you could be so kind as to provide some details of this electrocution. Such as any newspaper reports, etc.
I know of one case in Young Harris, GA after hurricane Ivan but was never able to verify this. What area are you in?
This topic recently came up on the FineHomeBuilding forum [Breaktime] and I really blasted the idea. This is one of the more serious NEC violations. It would help to be able to refer to specific examples.
Sorry about your loss.
~Peter

southernboys

Peter if I find the article in the newspaper I will. I heard it on the radio driving to work today. Charlie youre more than likely correct. Not only are these guys working long hours they also have to drive a long way. As Ive seen trucks from all over the south. Makes me proud to be a sparky but wish I could become a lineman. Takes a special breed to leave your family to help someone else. Can anyone give me some advice as to how to become a lineman?

charlie

Can anyone give me some advice as to how to become a lineman?
I only know how we do it and that is to hire guys to be trained. We have a line school where a good percentage are washed out of the program. Climbing is the hard part, not learning how but being able to keep at it for a long time. When you first start, its a killer on your legs and back.

There is also the training part where you are in classroom that comes complete with homework. After a few weeks, you are assigned to a truck to start working with a line crew as an apprentice. You then are cycled back and forth to do overhead and underground work along with classroom work.

After you finish all the requirements, you will become a journeyman lineman. This is a long process that takes several years. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.