jack chain hung Fluorescent

Status
Not open for further replies.
NEC 410.58 states that you must use stranded wire, does this code apply to jack chain hung fluorescents? we wired a shop with t-5 high bay fixtures, they are hung with jack chain and sold mc cable from a 4sq box zip tied to the chain, (there are no bends in the wire) down to the fixture.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I agree it is a bit odd but it does say on luminaire chain. Now is the chain we add to support the fixture a part of the luminaire-- I don't think so. So, IMO, the intent is for the chain that is part of the luminaire.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
I agree it is a bit odd but it does say on luminaire chain. Now is the chain we add to support the fixture a part of the luminaire-- I don't think so. So, IMO, the intent is for the chain that is part of the luminaire.
Dennis, let's say you buy a "Swag Kit" for a fixture, it would not be a part of the luminaire as a package either.

Roger

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
You are correct but the wire is interwoven in the chain. Do you think this applies to mc cable run to a fluorescent hanging from jack chain?

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Do you think this applies to mc cable run to a fluorescent hanging from jack chain?

The problem is the words as they are written do not make a distinction of how the wiring is run, be it along the chain or laced through the it.

I also don't think this is the intent but it is how it's written and there is no solid argument to use with an inspector to defend a particular stance.

Roger

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Would this statement make more sense.

(E) Stranding. Stranded fixture wire shall be used for wiring on luminaire chains and on other moveable or flexible parts

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Would this statement make more sense.

(E) Stranding. Stranded fixture wire shall be used for wiring on luminaire chains and on other moveable or flexible parts
That still wouldn't allow solid conductors on a chain hung fixture.

There will need to be some wording excluding applications where FMT, FMC, MC, or AC with solid condutors are used, otherwise these wiring methods will need to use stranded conductors.

Roger

realolman

Seems to me the NEC is calling for stranded wire... whether that was the intent or not

off to the side... check the weight of the fixture and the load rating on the "jack chain" ...jack chain isn't rated for much

Status
Not open for further replies.