jacuzzi grounding

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just wanna know if any of you guys ever heard or see a jacuzzi be bonded to the hot water pipe (a #10 bare copper conductor running from the motor to the ground clamp tie to the pipe )there is any type of requirement in art 250 about this

jwelectric

Re: jacuzzi grounding

Well Boris you will not find this #10 rule in 250 nor any where else in the NEC

Just what are you calling a Jacuzzi?

Is it a Hot tub?
:)

edited to get 680.74 correct

[ September 18, 2005, 10:33 PM: Message edited by: jwelectric ]

jwelectric

Personally this is my favorite
DONNIELI_TOILET_1_lg.jpg

it can be found at this web site

russ

680.74 2005 NEC requires all metal piping systems and all grounded metal parts in contact with the circulating water be bonded together with a #8 solid conductor.

davedottcom

CSElectric, you are one of the very few that still shows your location in your posts... what's up with that?

Why didn't yours dissappear like the rest of ours? Hmmmm...

davedottcom

Originally posted by russ:
680.74 2005 NEC requires all metal piping systems and all grounded metal parts in contact with the circulating water be bonded together with a #8 solid conductor.
it says "not smaller than 8 AWG solid."

#8 stranded is slightly larger! :D

cselectric

Originally posted by davedottcom:
CSElectric, you are one of the very few that still shows your location in your posts... what's up with that?

Why didn't yours dissappear like the rest of ours? Hmmmm...
In all honesty... I have no idea. I did nothing at all, and this was the result I got. I've tried getting results by doing nothing before, this is the first time it's worked.

russ

it says "not smaller than 8 AWG solid."

#8 stranded is slightly larger! [Big Grin]
Hey Dave, where does it say, if you use wire larger than #8, it doesn't have to be solid. :p

I wonder if the reason for solid wire is because with stranded wire in a wet or damp area corrosion or oxidation may occur between the small strands?

Edit to correct stranded to solid

[ September 18, 2005, 11:32 PM: Message edited by: russ ]

davedottcom

I said in 680.74 it says "...not smaller than 8 AWG solid."

And #8 stranded IS slightly Larger than #8 solid, therefore it's NOT smaller...do you dissagree?

Editted to add: Where does it say it must be solid. I only see where it says it must be larger than #8 solid.

[ September 18, 2005, 11:54 PM: Message edited by: davedottcom ]

davedottcom

Nevermind Russ, I see now. It says solid bonding jumper...not smaller than #8AWG in 680.62(C).

I was looking at VII.Hydromassage Bathtubs 680.74. The way 680.74 is written it does allow stranded In My Opinion! :)

jwelectric

I have gotten up this morning and fixed me a pot of coffee. While I am waiting for the coffee to make I am going to go take a shower in my ungrounded and unbonded Jacuzzi.
BONAIRE_SURROUND_1_lg.jpg

hey guys thnk for such a good and illustraded explanation and in fact is a bathtub and it is inside but now I was wondering hot water pipe expand and contract when it get hot and cooldown after going to this process several times dont you think the clamp is going to get loose
and for those how said the toilet is not a jacuzzi just wait until you have to pull a couple of 600 mcm and your hemoroid comes out and all you are going to be begging for a little bit of steam

jwelectric

Originally posted by boris machado:
hey guys thnk for such a good and illustraded explanation and in fact is a bathtub and it is inside but now I was wondering hot water pipe expand and contract when it get hot and cooldown after going to this process several times dont you think the clamp is going to get loose
and for those how said the toilet is not a jacuzzi just wait until you have to pull a couple of 600 mcm and your hemoroid comes out and all you are going to be begging for a little bit of steam
VII. Hydromassage Bathtubs
680.74 Bonding.
All metal piping systems and all grounded metal parts in contact with the circulating water shall be bonded together using a copper bonding jumper, insulated, covered, or bare, not smaller than 8 AWG solid.
:)

james wuebker

Speaking of toilets, I had to run a circuit to one the other day. The type of toilet being used was to help the flush pressure down the waste pipe which was about 300' down stream.
Jim

Status
Not open for further replies.