JM to Apprentice ratio

Status
Not open for further replies.

dan55

Just wondering what apprentice to journeyman ratios are at in other parts of the country. In the city I am in it is 1 jm to two apprentices.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
dan55 said:
Just wondering what apprentice to journeyman ratios are at in other parts of the country. In the city I am in it is 1 jm to two apprentices.
Same here for one particular city, but this is a recent change from 1 to 1.

Roger

growler

What's a journeyman? What's an apprentice? :grin: :grin:

There is no ratio in this state. No one is required to be either a journeyman nor an apprentice to do electrical work. The only requirement is for the owner or sponsor to hold an electrical contractors license.

Things are kind of wide open.

dan55

here a journeyman is an electrician who gain 8000hrs applies for the jm test and passes with a 70% and an apprentice is anyone who applies for the apprentice license. like i said early we have a 1:2 ratio. unfortunately is is not upheld like it should be and some of the work shows. it is too, bad that the craftmanship is going out of the trade. We had to remove some lights that were installed about a year ago , and reinstall them for a new grid ceiling that was put in. instead of bushings being used to in the 1/2" ko there was black tape installed around the edge of the hole.

crossman

Texas is 1 JW to infinite apprentices and by apprentices. There is no state requirement for an "apprentice" to be in a registered apprentice program either, so anyone can get an apprentice license regardless of whether they are in a registered apprentice program or not. It is a free-for-all that keeps wages low.

bbaumer

crossman said:
Texas is 1 JW to infinite apprentices and by apprentices. There is no state requirement for an "apprentice" to be in a registered apprentice program either, so anyone can get an apprentice license regardless of whether they are in a registered apprentice program or not. It is a free-for-all that keeps wages low.

Been years since I was affiliated with the IBEW but I could swear their ratio was 3 or 4 JOURNEYMEN to 1 apprentice. Just the opposite of what I'm seeing here for some state's requirements.

crossman

bbaumer said:
Been years since I was affiliated with the IBEW but I could swear their ratio was 3 or 4 JOURNEYMEN to 1 apprentice. Just the opposite of what I'm seeing here for some state's requirements.

The IBEW has ratios in their contracts, typically 1 to 1 or perhaps 3 JW to 2 app or such, but the state law is what I am talking about. I wish they would do something a little more stringent.

C3PO

growler said:
What's a journeyman? What's an apprentice? :grin: :grin:

There is no ratio in this state. No one is required to be either a journeyman nor an apprentice to do electrical work. The only requirement is for the owner or sponsor to hold an electrical contractors license.

Things are kind of wide open.

Same here. Someone just has to have an electrical contractors license or a "limited license". They used to hand out the limited license like candy but now there is a test for it.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
To me it makes no sense to have such a rigid ratio. An apprentice in his third year probably does not require anywhere near one in his first month.

IIRC, the contract the UAW has is 1:1 for all trades.

jsharvey

Ratio

Ratio

It's 1 to 1 here in Topeka Ks. and heaven help the EC who gets caught out of ratio or heaven forbid an apprentice working solo.

Status
Not open for further replies.