Job Postings

Status
Not open for further replies.

Castrovinci

Guys,
What is the best source now a days for job postings for journeyman and apprentice? I have tried the following with this yeild:

Craigslist- Majority of the canididates don't show or have drug/criminal backgrounds or alt motives

Zip recruiter which post to all the big boards like monster/hotjobs etc - This has yielded mostly tech guys meaning hands off responses

Mike Holt's Job Posting - Just put ads up so we will see how this goes.

Where else guys besides my local vocational school or supermarket or fellow electrician's word of mouth
????

Seems it is difficult to get good help now a days and its not because of pay since majority of the time we don't even get that far with the interview :happyno:

GLSA

If you are looking for experienced JW's then money is the starting point, but most contractors will not even give a range upfront of what the pay might be. If a JW is working and likes his current gig or is at least ok with it, he is not going to jump through hoops just to find out you can't raise his pay significantly or offer something important to him that he is not getting at his current job.

chris1971

Referrals from other electricians. Offer a bonus to employees who refer potential candidates to your company.

Fulthrotl

~Autocorrect is My Worst Enema.~

Where else guys besides my local vocational school or supermarket or fellow electrician's word of mouth
????
Seems it is difficult to get good help now a days and its not because of pay since majority of the time we don't even get that far with the interview :happyno:

http://www.ibewlocal102.org/

well, you asked.:angel:

PS-

there is a nationwide shortage of skilled sparkies.
all the boomers are fading away, and the severe
work picture of the previous couple decades has
meant that not many new muppets entered the
craft, both union and merit shop aspects.

so all of a sudden, we are in a bunch of work,
and don't have anyone to do it.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I just hired a guy from Craigslist. Hope this one is better than the last one.. The last guy lasted 2 days--- slow and didn't know what he said he did otherwise not bad.

Castrovinci

I just hired a guy from Craigslist. Hope this one is better than the last one.. The last guy lasted 2 days--- slow and didn't know what he said he did otherwise not bad.

Yeah, That's about the only consistency with craigslist it seems these days. :happyno:

It's one thing to ad lib a little but to be a guy who installed one outlet in his lifetime and sell your resume as experienced. I don't mind training anyone if there upfront, but you gotta come to the job drug free and show up..... for me that's 80% of the battle

Castrovinci

If you are looking for experienced JW's then money is the starting point, but most contractors will not even give a range upfront of what the pay might be. If a JW is working and likes his current gig or is at least ok with it, he is not going to jump through hoops just to find out you can't raise his pay significantly or offer something important to him that he is not getting at his current job.

Very True.....I gotta start looking at this like a car ad I guess. Thanks

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
the union thing tends to make it harder to recruit from out of the area for union jobs, so it is not like it is especially easy to bring in people from out of the immediate area to fill a need. they want at least some security that they can find other work if what you are offering does not pan out.

mgookin

In the Florida Keys if you show up five days in a row, you're the new supervisor.
If you show up five days in a row and you're sober, you are the new boss and you get a raise.
If you show up five days in a row, you're sober and you're on time every day, well... nobody knows. It's never happened.

__dan

Indeed has the best system I've seen for the employee. They index and pull open postings from all over.

For job searches they have the easiest to use system, search by zip code and keyword. They remember your searches and give automated email blasts for your search parameters. So I get two or three automated emails most days from Indeed for local openings with different keywords.

Indeed is reputable, good quality, and they index widely from other good sources. There are other services that do the same but are only spam and click bait. Glassdoor is marginal and I have a few in my mail junk list.

Anyone looking for work should be using Indeed, so I would be sure to post an opening there.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I just got a reply from Craiglist.. The guy put his name and number in the email and that was all. Guess he didn't have alot to say. :D

John120/240

I just got a reply from Craiglist.. The guy put his name and number in the email and that was all. Guess he didn't have alot to say. :D

Sounds like he wants You to do all of asking questions. At the minimum he should have included a salary range $XX to $ZZ, & a brief synopsis of his work history. He didn't want the job too bad.

NE (9.06 miles @5.9 Degrees from Winged Horses)
Occupation
EC - retired
Years ago before caller ID, call return,& all that, Boss gets a call "I don't know you, you don't know me but if John Doe applies for a job I would not hire him"
Looking for any kind of help several years ago and one of the references an applicant left was a small GC I had worked with. I left a message on the GCs home phone not expecting a return call until evening. Minutes later the GCs wife called with "Do not hire him under any circumstance."

Status
Not open for further replies.