Jockey pump connected ahead of controller

hhsting

Occupation
Junior plan reviewer
See attached picture. I have drawings that show jockey pump is connected ahead of fire pump controller.

Is this allowed by NEC 2017 and NFPA 20? If it is where is it? I looked if found little info in NEC 2017 Article 695 but nothing in NFPA 20

Thanks for all help

IMG_6509.jpg

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
695.3 notes the loads that can be on the fire pump supply wiring and includes the jockey pump.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Done that way all of the time. Usually involves a tap ahead of the fire pump controller.
I've never seen it done any other way.

20180821_131600.jpg

hhsting

Occupation
Junior plan reviewer
Thanks all.

I guess i should be starting another thread but thought I can ask my next question in this thread:

The ATS in post #1 feeds both jokey pump and the fire pump. The ATS is fed from service conductors

My question is if the ATS is service rated should the breaker size inside it comply with NEC 2017 Article 695.4(B)(2)(a)(1) sized per locked rotor current or not? I am not aware of any ATS service rated that is in compliance with NEC 2017 Article 695.4(B)(2)(a)(2) listed for fire pump and jockey pump both. Am I correct or incorrect?

hhsting

Occupation
Junior plan reviewer
Thanks all.

I guess i should be starting another thread but thought I can ask my next question in this thread:

The ATS in post #1 feeds both jokey pump and the fire pump. The ATS is fed from service conductors

My question is if the ATS is service rated should the breaker size inside it comply with NEC 2017 Article 695.4(B)(2)(a)(1) sized per locked rotor current or not? I am not aware of any ATS service rated that is in compliance with NEC 2017 Article 695.4(B)(2)(a)(2) listed for fire pump and jockey pump both. Am I correct or incorrect?

No one?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

d0nut

The easy way is to not have a separate ATS or service disconnect. Buy a service rated, ATS, fire pump controller and all these issues are solved by the manufacturer.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I'm not sure why they show a separate ATS the note clearly states that the controllers have their own ATS.