JSAs

Dsg319

Occupation
Wv Master “lectrician”
Not a good idea. I had a thought of doing the same thing for me and my two man crew, having everything filled out for specific task would save time only having to sign names and date.

Even though no one really reads or even signs the JSA I at least have to think of the occurring task and risk of the day which can change even with the same task day by day and can tell them verbally and possible see new/different dangers that might just make a significant difference in your work day.Just my opinion.

TrishTreasure

Occupation
HSEQ Professional
Not a good idea. I had a thought of doing the same thing for me and my two man crew, having everything filled out for specific task would save time only having to sign names and date.

Even though no one really reads or even signs the JSA I at least have to think of the occurring task and risk of the day which can change even with the same task day by day and can tell them verbally and possible see new/different dangers that might just make a significant difference in your work day.Just my opinion.
No, it's a great idea. The point of having it as a reference to not miss certain details allows for a pre start discussion of that day's work scope. You hit the nail on the head, though. Most folks use it as a pencil whip exercise and sign without reviewing. Having a pre filled JSA for each typical scope allows you to utilize only those JSA sheets that are applicable for that day. The main problem is is that crew members are not required/ encouraged to actively participate. This is the time to figure out if there is a better way to mitigate a hazard, speak up to hazards observed on the way in that mornng and after lunch that are created by weather, simultaneous operations (SIMOPS), or new construction site changes. Evacuation Routes change constantly, especially on new construction sites, with equipment and materials blocking routes or new walls going up. In the case of a lawsuit, having signed documentation proves that workers knew hazards and protections. Any worker can read/ review/ ask questions about it at any time to ensure he understands it. Without one.....good luck in court.

**This should not be approved until an ANSI compliant eye wash station was brought in

***Formattig got really wonky once posted....sorry

Perfect example:
COMPANY: Joe's Electric CONTACT: Joe Schmo/ Supervisor PHONE: 555-345-9999
PROJECT: XYZ Distribution Center

DATE: 1/20/24 SCHEDULE: 6a-2p L 11-11:30
SOW: Brown Field-Excavate 5' Trench/ Lay Pipe Crew: 5
Equip: Mini Excavator / 8' Trench Ladder / Portable Bandsaw Env Conditions: Muddy
Chemicals: PVC Cement SDS Onsite? Y Reviewed? Y Corrosive? Y Eye Wash Station? 2) 32 oz Bottles
Permits Required: None
Qualifications: Excavator Operator

Muster Point: ______________

SIMOPS/ Hazards:
Cranes / Soil Cohesiveness Competition Person Inspection Pre Start and Periodic
Struck By Barricaded Areas of Swing/ Drop Radius

Step: Hazard: Mitigation:
1. Dig Trench 1a. Struck By 1a1. Barricade Work Area
1a 2. PPE: High Vis Vest or clothing
1a3. Inspect: Verify functional equip Horn/ Backup Alarm
1a4. No workers within swing radius of excavator
1a5 Use Spotter

1b Caught Between 1b1 No workers in trench during equipment operation within 10'
1b2 Spoils moved beyond 2' of trench edge
1b3 Straight ladders set every 25'/ extended 3' over edge
1c...........