Junction Box Mounting method

Status
Not open for further replies.

wickerham

I need to know when mounting a electrical mounting junction box into a wall, can it be mounted to the drywall with a compression clamping or will it need to be attached to a stud that is in the wall.

This method would be face plate on the outside of the drywall and two part bracket on the opposite side behind the dry wall. There would be 4 screws holding the parts together and press the drywall between them.

I hope to get a answer on this matter to know how to design the mating parts.

Thank you for your help.

Wayne Wickerham

[ September 06, 2005, 06:42 PM: Message edited by: wickerham ]

bphgravity

Re: Junction Box Mounting method

Boxes and such should be mounted in a manner that will be rigidly and securely fastened in place. This is a judgment call by both you and the AHJ. If your not sure, find out from them. See section 314.23 of the NEC.

iwire

Staff member

You can put a junction box up with bubble gum as long as it is rigid and secure. ;)

314.23 Supports.
Enclosures within the scope of this article shall be supported in accordance with one or more of the provisions in 314.23(A) through (H).

(A) Surface Mounting. An enclosure mounted on a building or other surface shall be rigidly and securely fastened in place. If the surface does not provide rigid and secure support, additional support in accordance with other provisions of this section shall be provided.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer

I used some quickgrip construction adhesive not long ago. Worked every well. I have wondered if it might be suitable for mounting blue boxes to studs. Might save a few seconds per box over nailing.

pierre

Here is what at first seems like a simple question.
This question leads to other ideas though:
"I used some quickgrip construction adhesive not long ago. Worked every well. I have wondered if it might be suitable for mounting blue boxes to studs. Might save a few seconds per box over nailing."

The blue boxes are designed as such, that the side wall of the box is not designed for the structural purpose of supporting the box???

luckyshadow

From what I read there will be a box on one side of the sheetrock and the face plate, raised cover, on the other side of the sheetrock. The only thing holding this in place would be the faceplate screws ?
NO this is not an approved method of mounting the box. The box itself must be securely mounted.

benaround

Wayne,

There are boxes for every concevable circumstance, find the right one or maybe get an electrician to help you.

Status
Not open for further replies.