junction boxes

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrmartyok

I am sheetrocking a ceiling in the basement and there are several junction boxes attached to the rafters, my question is do I have to have these exposed and cover with a blank plate or can I bury them in the ceiling?

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
I am going to allow this thread since this is not a direct "how to do electrical" type of question.

The answer is no, you can not cover these junction boxes.

As an aside, in your profile you say you do small electrical jobs, are you aware of the fact that if you are performing these jobs for a fee in NC you must have a license to do this regardless of how small the job is?

Roger

76nemo

It think it's good you let the thread through Roger. I have to wonder what you are doing Marty for electrical work in your remodeling persuit?

Last edited:

celtic

mrmartyok said:
.... my question is do I have to have these exposed and cover with a blank plate or can I bury them in the ceiling?

They have to remain accessible w/o damaging the finish of the ceiling if access is required later.

I, for one, am glad you took the time to ask before proceeding with the sheet rock install.

76nemo

ptonsparky said:
You don't want to know how many holes I have punched in finished nicely painted sheetrock, to find J boxes that have been covered. I don't like making the holes and the owners don't like the ugly blue cover right next to Aunt Martha's portrait.

The next inspector shall have a ball with that dwelling resold:cool:

electricalperson

ptonsparky said:
You don't want to know how many holes I have punched in finished nicely painted sheetrock, to find J boxes that have been covered. I don't like making the holes and the owners don't like the ugly blue cover right next to Aunt Martha's portrait.
i would tell the owners to move aunt marthas portrait over so they dont see the ugly blue cover :grin:

dcspector

LarryFine said:
He could always use a plastic architectural access panel beneath each box.

I agree larry. There are some attractive ones out there on the market. Oh Marty. NEC Article 314.29 would be the code that is enforceable.

Last edited:

Energy-Miser

LarryFine said:
He could always use a plastic architectural access panel beneath each box.
Along the lines of this topic, I have heard that there is a heat shrink splice that you can use that can be burried in a wall space and will still be code compliant. Is this correct, or someone is trying to take the easy route? e/m

dcspector

Energy-Miser said:
Along the lines of this topic, I have heard that there is a heat shrink splice that you can use that can be burried in a wall space and will still be code compliant. Is this correct, or someone is trying to take the easy route? e/m

New one on me unless it is listed and in the dirt. 300.5(E) and 110.14(B)

iwire

Staff member
Energy-Miser said:
Along the lines of this topic, I have heard that there is a heat shrink splice that you can use that can be buried in a wall space and will still be code compliant. Is this correct, or someone is trying to take the easy route? e/m

Check out 300.15(H) and particularly 334.40(B)

Status
Not open for further replies.