Just Curious

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eddie702

Licensed Electrician
Occupation
Electrician
I know that the NEC has required a 20Amp Laundry circuit since at least 1975 (that's the oldest code book I have). I find a lot of older homes with the Laundry circuit wired to the small appliance branch circuit. I am wondering if this was ever legal. Based on the age of the homes I have see I am betting this change was made in the late 60s-early 70s?

My own home (1955) was all wired in BX/AC cable. I have both types, some with the aluminum bonding wire and some without. I have herd that the BX without the bonding wire was done away with when the change was made to require grounding type receptacles. When did this take place....I am guessing late 50-early 60s?

I know the BX without the bonding wire around here is sometimes referred to as "rat proof romex" and it provides a poor ground (high resistance/may not trip a breaker etc). But have seen plenty of jobs with 3 wire receptacles wired to it with a bonding jumper to the box.

I have never seen a code book that describes or differentiates between these two types of BX/AC cables.......but have seen plenty of talk and opinions. Anyone have any input on that

goldstar

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I know that the NEC has required a 20Amp Laundry circuit since at least 1975 (that's the oldest code book I have). I find a lot of older homes with the Laundry circuit wired to the small appliance branch circuit. I am wondering if this was ever legal. Based on the age of the homes I have see I am betting this change was made in the late 60s-early 70s?

My own home (1955) was all wired in BX/AC cable. I have both types, some with the aluminum bonding wire and some without. I have herd that the BX without the bonding wire was done away with when the change was made to require grounding type receptacles. When did this take place....I am guessing late 50-early 60s?

I know the BX without the bonding wire around here is sometimes referred to as "rat proof romex" and it provides a poor ground (high resistance/may not trip a breaker etc). But have seen plenty of jobs with 3 wire receptacles wired to it with a bonding jumper to the box.

I have never seen a code book that describes or differentiates between these two types of BX/AC cables.......but have seen plenty of talk and opinions. Anyone have any input on that
My house was built in 1969. We are the 2nd owners. The guy who wired my house wired the kitchen SABC, then to the den, then the powder room, then to the laundry and then to my master BR - all on a 15A circuit. I couldn't run the DW and the laundry appliances at the same time. The den and laundry area were built on a slab so correcting the wiring had to wait until I did some remodeling. I've since corrected a lot of the wiring but I still want to find the guy who wired this house and break his legs :-( !!!

Eddie702

Licensed Electrician
Occupation
Electrician
Thank you @tom baker & @goldstar for the replies. I did find the document that Tom Baker referred to and that cleared up a few of my questions.

@goldstar , mine is a 1955 ranch that actually had a 100 amp fused panel. All the receptacles were 2 wire and it was all done in BX. Some of the BX had the aluminum bonding wire....some did not. But other than that it was in pretty good shape

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
@goldstar , mine is a 1955 ranch that actually had a 100 amp fused panel. All the receptacles were 2 wire and it was all done in BX. Some of the BX had the aluminum bonding wire....some did not. But other than that it was in pretty good shape
[/QUOTE]
I'm guessing the strip-equipped cable is used in the kitchen and bath areas, unless it's a result of later work.

Status
Not open for further replies.