just for fun bid

Status
Not open for further replies.

southernboys

Hey guys Ive got a customer who wants me to install two remodel can lights for her. The attic acess is 10 ft from where the can lights are going. they will be tied into the fan which is 5 ft from the cans. How much would you guys charge for this job. This would include dropping fan and rehanging it. So that joints could be made. Im thinking $150 in labor. As Ive said in the past this is my biggest weakness. Thanks in advance

mdshunk

Re: just for fun bid

100 bucks per can for labor and mat'l. This sounds like a gravy install. I'm not so sure I'd even use remodel cans since you can get to it from above. Aren't new work cans a bit cheaper, normally?

cwsolo

Flat rate $125 per can covers a 6" ic can with a plastic baffle and lamp. Different cans with different trims are extra.
Total $250
It seems to me that lowering rates because a job SEEMS easier is not very beneficial unless you are hard up for work, I know that we end up doing jobs we give a price on that we can only wish we charged more because of the unknown variables that pop up.
$125 per can is still very fair and not even close to gouging and if you make a few more dollars because you finish quicker than on another job doing the same thing, than that is going to help cover you on the next job that takes longer than expected.
Just my opinion, but it seems to me that especially where I live EC's will lowball each other just to get a job and push small guys out. I for one think this needs to change. The same guys lowballing each other can't man their work right now because they can't pay their guys top dollar.

electricmanscott

Buck fifty per light taking into account the fact that you will have to take down the fan. I would also tell the customer if there is not a fan rated box or no structure to fasten the fan to the fan will not go back up without addtional charge.

GG

Originally posted by southernboys:
How much would you guys charge for this job.
Include $10 for the 2 BR-40 bulbs you will need for the can lights. I think these bulbs are overpriced. Should be $1 a piece. :confused:

electricmanscott

Originally posted by GG:
Include $10 for the 2 BR-40 bulbs you will need for the can lights. I think these bulbs are overpriced. Should be $1 a piece. :confused:
Are you a homeowner or contractor? From this statement I know which I would pick.

Status
Not open for further replies.