Just not sure

Status
Not open for further replies.

joeyww12000

I have different responsibilities on this job, fire alarm and other low volt wiring. I just happened to see these problems when I was checking on the progress of the other workers. The service is a 600a, with 2 sets of 4-350cu parallel conductors. These go to 600a disconnect in PVC and out to MDP in PVC. Specs call for steel, water pipe, concrete encased rebar and a groundrod to be bonded in MDP, but no provisions were made. At the disconnect you have a 2/0 cu terminated to the grounded conductor lug with the grounded conductor, the grounding conductor continues out of the disconnect to a groundrod then to rebar in the footer. The disconnect inclosure is bonded by a bonding screw. From the disconnect into the MDP there are 2 sets of 4-350cu conductors. The grounded conductors are terminated to the grounded conductor lugs on one side of the MDP. There is another set of lugs bonded to these same lugs on the other side of the MDP enclosure that someone has terminated the EGC's going out to other sub panels fed from the MDP. In the subpanels every EGC and grounded conductor are bonded together!! Please tell me this isnt right.... I know its not. If they were to bond the disconnect enclosure only with the existing 2/0cu out to the groundrod this would unbond the grounded conductor at the disconnect making it OK to then bond at the MDP. This leaves some things that are not correct such as there will be no grounding electrode/groundrod for the service other than the one at the disconnect which is doing nothing but bonding the disconnect enclosure. Theres probably some more things wrong here and Ive wrote to much......Ill set back and get advice here.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

romeo

Just not sure

The grounded conductors and the GEC should be together at the main switch,as well as the switch enclosure.

The grounded and grounding conductors should be isolated from that point.

raider1

Staff member
I agree with Romeo.

The grounding electrodes must be connected to the grounded conductor at or ahead of the service disconnecting means.

Also the main bonding jumper must be installed at the main disconnecting means and after that point the EGC's and the grounded conductors must be kept isolated.

Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.