Kansas Licensing

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnson151

Occupation
Electrician
Hello all, not sure which forum to put this under, but this seems to be the closest matching. I'm a master electrician and the company I work for has a bunch of work to do throughout Kansas. From the research I've done, there's no state license and I'm required to get a license from each city/county jurisdiction. Is this correct? What is the best way to go about this?
(is there one test, or application that will work for multiple jurisdictions?)
This blows my mind, I can think of few ways to make licensure more difficult.
Anyways, any input or tips would be greatly appreciated!

PaulMmn

Occupation
EIT - Engineer in Training, Lafayette College
Check and see if your existing certification is accepted in Kansas... for each jurisdiction, evidently.

Tulsa Electrician

Occupation
Electrician
Call one of the bigger cities and ask.
If you continuing education is current and your test was from listed in pic. You should be good.

When I worked there I just got a license from one of the bigger cities and used to move around.
Keep in mind not all get along with each other. So always ask for a reciprocation list.
I had and old block.

I forgot to add. Call each city and ask and ask what code there on and any amendments. I found that most even small cities had some sort of amendments.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221207-170218.png
    Screenshot_20221207-170218.png
    23.8 KB · Views: 4

Tulsa Electrician

Occupation
Electrician
Here is some info from a town called Emporia. I was licensed there. As an example.
They had a wierd rule that a j man could not work in a panel it had to be a master.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221207-172050.png
    Screenshot_20221207-172050.png
    179.9 KB · Views: 5
  • Screenshot_20221207-172322.png
    Screenshot_20221207-172322.png
    421.2 KB · Views: 5

James L

Occupation
Electrician
Each municipality has its own requirements, and each adopts whichever code cycle they prefer.

Here's what is required for Johnson County, wich is in the Kansas City Metro area.

You need to contact each municipality, or look for a website

I'm not sure if it's like here in New York, but you could work in 95% (wild guess to make a point) of the geographic area of New York State without a license. It's mostly just larger cities that have license requirements and remember that is only in the city limits. There are a few counties that have countywide licensing but not many. Just saying that depending on where you're working it might not be as big a hassle as it seems. I am not licensed anywhere in New York state now after I let my Albany license expire a couple years ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.