Keeping Up Motivation

mannyb

Occupation
Electrician
How do you guys create motivation. What type of incentives do you offer, if any. We install generators and are looking at ways to increase productivity and looking into types of incentives for keeping peoppe working

mtnelect

HVAC & Electrical Contractor
Occupation
Contractor, C10 & C20 - Semi Retired
Paying "Under the Table" doesn't work anymore in California, since I am a HVAC contractor I am now forced to pay "Ghost Workmans Comp" insurance to keep my license.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
Just my opinion but you will go a long way by honestly appreciating your employees. Money is nice, and you have to stay reasonably competitive wage and benefit wise but going to work everyday someplace you are really appreciated is worth a lot to most people.

You don't get there with a few pizzas either.

letgomywago

Occupation
residential electrician
Things like rounding up pay will help. If they guys know that they can do 2 generators in a day and get an extra bonus of half a days pay vs just being hourly that'll help.

I also believe that owners should be in the ditches and attics as long as they can working with their guys to help. Not the slave driving work harder this is too slow type stuff but the "let's do this I'll take the crappy part of the job and if you guys can help keep it flowing we'll be done early with a full days pay". Then actually help.

Make sure you don't show off your nice possessions while they're struggling that's not going to motivate them.

Ask them if they have ideas where you can improve as an owner. Even if they don't know asking will help them feel appreciated.

mtnelect

HVAC & Electrical Contractor
Occupation
Contractor, C10 & C20 - Semi Retired
Just my opinion but you will go a long way by honestly appreciating your employees. Money is nice, and you have to stay reasonably competitive wage and benefit wise but going to work everyday someplace you are really appreciated is worth a lot to most people.

I don't know about you, but when I go to the wholesale house's ... I hear a lot of disgruntle employees bad mouthing their employers about being taken advantage of them:
1) Requiring them to go back on jobs without pay to repair mistakes.
2) Not paying them overtime
3) Not paying them the full "Clock-In Hours" for the time period

Just for the few gripes heard.

letgomywago

Occupation
residential electrician
I don't know about you, but when I go to the wholesale house's ... I hear a lot of disgruntle employees bad mouthing their employers about being taken advantage of them:

The full clock in hours is annoying for a lot of large companies. Legal push back is happening too because of how common it is. They keep raising the min salary before overtime kicks in too in a lot of places.

rambojoe

Occupation
Wireman
How do you guys create motivation. What type of incentives do you offer, if any. We install generators and are looking at ways to increase productivity and looking into types of incentives for keeping peoppe working
Well, 75% of america got off ritalen and straight to adderall... Bam. Dr prescribed meth!
Purvitan motivation!
(I have no idea how to spell these drugs)

letgomywago

Occupation
residential electrician
Well, 75% of america got off ritalen and straight to adderall... Bam. Dr prescribed meth!
Purvitan motivation!
(I have no idea how to spell these drugs)
Separate issue but my friend who had to use those as a kid said it took out his soul and joy from accomplishing things. Idk if that pharmacological intervention will motivate the masses in the long run to become competent troubleshooters and installers but they might stay off their phones so there's that.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer

You won't have happy employees if you cheat ttem

rambojoe

Occupation
Wireman
Separate issue but my friend who had to use those as a kid said it took out his soul and joy from accomplishing things. Idk if that pharmacological intervention will motivate the masses in the long run to become competent troubleshooters and installers but they might stay off their phones so there's that.
I dont know about installers but they are very popular with white collar workers...and college kids.
Point is, it aint motivating the masses but boy oh boy- it is.

PaulMmn

Occupation
EIT - Engineer in Training, Lafayette College
Provide training, during working hours, at the company's expense. If travel is involved, comp the standard IRS rate per mile if they use their own vehicles. If it's a long ways away, pay for the hotel-- and don't make them 'buddy up!'
Story in the IT world goes--
Boss-- "Why should I train my people? They'll just quit and go to another job."
Manager-- "So we don't train them and keep them as our employees?"

mannyb

Occupation
Electrician
All great advise. Pay could be better in some cases. We provide 2weeks PTO 3sick days and 8 holidays. Medical Dental windshield time they drive to and from job. As far as pay it's within average. I like the percentage per completion. We are turn key operation so we have plumbers and electricians plus helpers not sure who would get what

hillbilly1

Occupation
Owner/electrical contractor
Get them the proper tools to make the job easier, I worked for one company that had the attitude labor was cheap, material was expensive. They were drilling and bolting one hole straps instead of buying Caddy’s!

Mystic Pools

Occupation
Swimming Pool Contractor
Money is always a good incentive.
Have a company dinner once a month. Buy them lunch on a Friday. Have a bowling night. Take them to a ball game, football, baseball, soccer, whatever. Fishing trip. Wash company trucks on a Friday and buy them pizza. (I did that)
Something other than work so they can relax and be themselves.

ggunn

PE (Electrical), NABCEP certified
Occupation
Consulting Electrical Engineer - Photovoltaic Systems
I don't want to do after work activities with my fellow employees.
In the last company I worked for the department head occasionally took us out on the company's dime for a good meal, or beers, or bowling, or mini golf... I liked all those people and I enjoyed it, and even in retirement I get together with my former boss for a beer occasionally. The job I had before that I never saw my co workers outside the workplace. It really depends on the job and who you are working with.

Last edited:

NoahsArc

Occupation
Residential EC

Also being understanding when mistakes or poor performance happen on occasion. Nothing makes you feel unappreciated more than getting grilled and threatened the rare times you make a mistake. Some jobs go over, sometimes the estimator missed something, sometimes a mistake just happens. And the owner is not immune to that.

NoahsArc

Occupation
Residential EC

Sounds like an organizer should hang out at this wholesale house.