Kiddie Wireless Interconnected Smoke Alarms

nizak

Has anyone here used wireless Kidde Smoke Detectors that are 9V DC only.

I’ve got a residential job that is extremely difficult to get hardwired 120V units installed in .

9 locations over 2 levels with minimal access .

Many reviews I’ve read state there is a lot of trouble with these, mainly false alarms.

The unit I’m questioning is #21027308.

Any feedback would be appreciated.

HEYDOG

I’ve got a residential job that is extremely difficult to get hardwired 120V units installed in .

Many reviews I’ve read state there is a lot of trouble with these, mainly false alarms.

They are required to be hardwired with battery backup! How are you going to get around that?

mtnelect

HVAC & Electrical Contractor
Occupation
Contractor, C10 & C20 - Semi Retired
Wireless smoke detectors are vulnerable to "Hacking" and false alarms. Find a way to hard wire them all, if you don't it will be a mistake that will haunt you forever.

James L

Occupation
Electrician
I haven't installed them frequently lately, but a couple of years ago I was installing a set at least once a month. I never had any callbacks at all.

I like how easily they pair, and you can designate each one to a certain room name.

Just make sure you don't get the 120v version by accident. The packages look too similar, imo

mtnelect

HVAC & Electrical Contractor
Occupation
Contractor, C10 & C20 - Semi Retired
I haven't installed them frequently lately, but a couple of years ago I was installing a set at least once a month. I never had any callbacks at all.

I like how easily they pair, and you can designate each one to a certain room name.

Just make sure you don't get the 120v version by accident. The packages look too similar, imo

We offer hard wired maintenance in our yearly service Maintenance Contracts and have found many smoke detectors over the 5 years replacement requirements. We only do yearly maintenance with actual particles of combustion and not just the push of the test button.

marmathsen

Occupation
Electrical Contractor

We have used a number of wireless interconnected smokeys over the years. Kidde, First Alert, and BRK. We've mixed and matched battery only with 120V as needed with no problems. Washington allows wireless if it's unreasonable to hardwire.

Smoke alarms are a major source of customer service calls. We parrot the manufacturers and suggest cleaning them with a vacuum and compressed air. Also that if it goes off at night time a lot, it's probably bugs.

Recently we have needed to replace some Kidde 120V because they stopped receiving power.

Rob G, Seattle