KILN DISCONNECT SWITCH

Status
Not open for further replies.

PE (always learning)

Occupation
Professional Engineer
Hey All,

I had a quick question pertaining to a commercial kiln in an art room for a new project I'm working on. The Kiln is 208V, 3 phase and draws 31.7 amps. It comes with a cord and plug and requires a nema 15-50 connection. Can the plug and cord count as a local disconnect for this equipment or do I need a disconnect switch at this location?

Best Regards

Hey All,

I had a quick question pertaining to a commercial kiln in an art room for a new project I'm working on. The Kiln is 208V, 3 phase and draws 31.7 amps. It comes with a cord and plug and requires a nema 15-50 connection. Can the plug and cord count as a local disconnect for this equipment or do I need a disconnect switch at this location?

Best Regards

First of all, it is debatable whether there is any disconnect requirement at all. The NEC doesnt define "appliance", but you if you consider a kiln one, than 422.31 allows it to be hard wired with no disconnect on/at the unit if the breaker is within sight or lockable if not within sight. 422.33(A) allows a cord and plug disconnecting means.

PE (always learning)

Occupation
Professional Engineer
Awesome, thank you for the code references and quick response. The kiln is not hard wired, it has a cord and plug, so I will just use that as the disconnecting means.

Status
Not open for further replies.