kitchen circuits

Status
Not open for further replies.

tim

Does the two small apliance circuit section of the NEC apply to apartments? Thiese units are only 700 square feet. There are three kitchen countertop outlets, One seperate refg. circuit, and a garbage disposal circuit. I can't seem to see a reason two divide the two countertop outlets into two circuits. :confused:

luke warmwater

Re: kitchen circuits

tim, Code doesn't make the distinction of an apartment in the applicable article. The requirement is 210.11(C) which refers to Dwelling Units. Article 100 Definition of a dwelling unit is: One or more rooms for the use of one or more persons as a housekeeping unit with space for eating, living, and sleeping, and permanent provisions for cooking and sanitation.
By definition, the answer to your question would be, Yes.
210.11(C) then refers you to 210.52(B). The refrigerator could actually be on one of the two required circuts. Todd

bphgravity

In these situations, I place quad receptacles each on their on their own branch circuit at the locations where the receptacles need to be. This way you cover the requirements for the 2 applaince circuits, and you provide additional outlets for use.

renosteinke

A lot of my work involves maintenance at SRO/ motel "apartments." These are all quite dated construction.
One of the "constants" are problems that are the direct result of not enough power/circuits being available in each unit. Changes in the code (since these buildings went up) help eliminate these problems.
When an owner "upgrades" a sleeping room by making part of it a "kitchenette," he often doesn't realise the extent of the issue. Before long, that tiny counter that he puts in will hold a microwave, hot plate, toaster, coffee pot, etc.
It doesn't take much these days to "use up" a 20-amp circuit- especially if there is no provision for a stove! And we all know how creative people can be with extension cords.
I strongly every architect to LIVE IN his designs. It sounds to me that the design of these apartments is cutting the line too fine.

A

a.wayne3@verizon.net

the size of the kitchen is irrelevant,no matter what you need 2 small appliace circuits.If not speced that th fridge be dedicated then homerun fridge jump to nearest countertop recep hit 2nd recep with home run and then hit 3rd receptacle.
thats onw way

Status
Not open for further replies.