Kitchen Equipment Disconnects

Status
Not open for further replies.

Keri_WW

Are disconnects required at or near the equipment in a commercial kitchen? I was thinking only no, as long as the panel feeding the equipment was in sight of the kitchen area.

Thanks for the help.
Keri :grin::grin:

iwire

Staff member
Are disconnects required at or near the equipment in a commercial kitchen? I was thinking only no, as long as the panel feeding the equipment was in sight of the kitchen area.

Thanks for the help.
Keri :grin::grin:

Disconnecting means within site of the equipment, not within sight of the 'area'. Or a breaker lock off that remains on the panel for some equipment, larger motor equipment requires a disconnecting means within sight period.

Keri_WW

Thanks for the response iwire. Most of the equipment is fairly reasonable in size. So it would be ok to just spec the individual breakers with a lock off?

What is the most common approach?

benaround

Thanks for the response iwire. Most of the equipment is fairly reasonable in size. So it would be ok to just spec the individual breakers with a lock off?

What is the most common approach?

I like to use cord and plug in kitchens if possible, serves as disconnect and allows the

equipment to be moved for cleaning.

Keri_WW

That would definitely be the way to go, however a lot of this commercial equipment is direct connect.

robva

From a design viewpoint, I like to create panel zones within commercial kitchens. These zones are within eye view of the equipment and located very conservatively. Examples being on either side of hoods. Also, I like to have dedicated hood panels to handle the shunt trip devices.(Interconnected with the hood suppression system)

On occasion, I have mounted 24pole panels within the counterwork to feed several pieces of equipment.

The key is to accommodate the direct connections without safety switches everywhere in the kitchen. They collect grease, and consume valuable space. Hard to avoid on the dishwashing equipment, especially the booster heaters.

On a side note, also suggest chrome or stainless steel for all exposed conduit stub-ups, and stainless steel panel covers, if flush mounted. If Surface mounted panels are used, then a stainless steel shroud above and below the panel is wise. A valid concern on kitchens is creating inadvertantly places for grease build-up and to minimize rust buildup during cleaning. Standard panel covers take a beating in kitchens over 10 or 20 years.

These are only design ideas though, from 33 years of engineering very big kitchens, and hope they help some.

Status
Not open for further replies.