Kitchen island

Xaverian93

Occupation
Master Electrician/Project Manager
210.52 c1 kitchen island

If a kitchen island has a sink and you install an outlet, pop up or raised back splash, I interpret the code as it does not need to be within 2 feet of sink

I live on cape cod mass and according to Massachusetts amendments we need an outlet at least one on the island or side as king no more than 6” overhang but we need at least one.

Inspector failed said outlet needs to be within 2 feet of sink. I say he is wrong!
He sent me a reference in an email. The picture in 210.52c1 page 88 2023 Nec. That diagram is for a wall in the kitchen not a island

Thoughts?

rc/retired

Occupation
Master Electrician/Inspector retired
The 2023 NEC doesn't require a receptacle outlet anymore. I see you have an amendment.
Inspector is wrong as the island has its own section. Good luck

Ron

Xaverian93

Occupation
The 2023 NEC doesn't require a receptacle outlet anymore. I see you have an amendment.
Inspector is wrong as the island has its own section. Good luck

Ron
Thanks Ron,

Yes I agree! Mass says nothing about 2 feet for island
is it MR R. B....? infamous. probably not because his interpretations are correct but brutally unwavering.
nope not him! Lol

kwired

Electron manager
210.52 c1 kitchen island

If a kitchen island has a sink and you install an outlet, pop up or raised back splash, I interpret the code as it does not need to be within 2 feet of sink

I live on cape cod mass and according to Massachusetts amendments we need an outlet at least one on the island or side as king no more than 6” overhang but we need at least one.

Inspector failed said outlet needs to be within 2 feet of sink. I say he is wrong!
He sent me a reference in an email. The picture in 210.52c1 page 88 2023 Nec. That diagram is for a wall in the kitchen not a island

Thoughts?
C1 doesn't apply to islands or peninsulas.

C2 does give you option to not have a receptacle at all. It does however require you to have provisions for adding future receptacle, though it doesn't exactly specify what those provisions must be. IMO if there is unfinished basement or similar below said island, you may not really need to do much if anything for future provisions as it is accessible to do so rather easily.

C3 tells you where they can be located if they are intended to serve the countertop area, and is basically similar locations as was permitted in previous editions of NEC.

Xaverian93

Occupation
C1 doesn't apply to islands or peninsulas.

C2 does give you option to not have a receptacle at all. It does however require you to have provisions for adding future receptacle, though it doesn't exactly specify what those provisions must be. IMO if there is unfinished basement or similar below said island, you may not really need to do much if anything for future provisions as it is accessible to do so rather easily.

C3 tells you where they can be located if they are intended to serve the countertop area, and is basically similar locations as was permitted in previous editions of NEC.
Exactly nothing about within 2’ of sink

Xaverian93

Occupation
Exactly nothing about within 2’ of sink
My inspector is wrong, in Massachusetts you still need at least one receptacle and I had my guys install (2) one on each side with no overhang. No where does it mention must be within 2 feet of an island sink that’s only counter space along a kitchen wall. He is wrong, and I will win my case