Kitchen Receptacles in Island?

Status
Not open for further replies.

physis

Re: Kitchen Receptacles in Island?

Technically, I'm not supposed to use MC or NM for something like that. It's an ugly deal. EMT?

Apauling is an SF inspector, I think. Paul, what would you say?

gary

Occupation
Retired electrical contractor / general contractor

It's legal to use exposed Romex. I usually run it through Carflex (FNC) to give it some mechanical protection.

apauling

Currently am unemployed

the location of the line determines if to code. behind drawers, romex is okay by me, protected. if cabinet space opens to conduit, needs protection. I didn't think mc was good enough protection in sf, but it's been a while.

haven't woprked as electrician in sf for at least 3 years; if i made electrical inspector in sf, i would probably be too arrogant to talk to.

paul :cool:

physis

Less than an hour responce time, thank you Paul.

I'm sorry to hear you're not working. If it weren't the time of year I'm flattening my butt, you being, I think, in my area I'd try to hook you up.

bphgravity

The problem is how do you get NM to the island? If the raceway is run underground from a wall space to the island, NM would not be permitted in that raceway.

UF can be used from the wall space to the island and protection from damage with a sleeve of FMC, LFMC, or LFNC.

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager

Originally posted by bphgravity:
The problem is how do you get NM to the island? If the raceway is run underground from a wall space to the island, NM would not be permitted in that raceway.

UF can be used from the wall space to the island and protection from damage with a sleeve of FMC, LFMC, or LFNC.
In the slab under a house? Why would that be wet?

If it's on a basement (as everything around here is), we run NM from the last GFI into the basement, and come trim time, drill through the bottom of the island/peninsula and pull the NM through FMC, metal cut-in with an f-strap, done. Mechanically protected from drawers, pots, etc.

[ January 13, 2005, 07:36 AM: Message edited by: georgestolz ]

mtn_elec

Here in New Jersey, Most of the houses have the basement as high as 7'with exceptions, so there is no problem with running the wire underneath. But isn't Bx enough protection for this?

bphgravity

Originally posted by georgestolz:
In the slab under a house? Why would that be wet?
I'm not saying that it would always be wet, I'm just referring to the requirement in 300.5(D)(5). I am not aware of any NM that is listed for a wet location.

We don't have basements here in Florida. Some of the older cities have buildings with basements.

peter d

Originally posted by georgestolz:
If it's on a basement (as everything around here is),
You learn something new every day. I always thought Colorado was slab land.

I know basements are rare in California and Nevada. Is this due to the cost of putting them in because the ground is so hard? Or just to save money on the cost of the home?

physis

Well Peter, you might learn something else too. The vast majority of buildings I work on have basements. But then most of those are 30 years or older. I don't know what they're doing for new construction. Whatever it is, I'm sure it's the cheapest possible meathod.

peter d

Good point Sam. California's a big state. I should have been more specific. :eek:

I meant southern California, and even more specifically, the San Diego-Los Angeles corridor (the only part of CA in which I've spent any significant amount of time.)

I have been through San Francisco, but it was only an overnight stay in a hotel right next to the train station. Hardly a vacation.

peter d

Oh....kitchen island receptacles.

Well, the slab homes in CA that I visited during constuction typically have a piece of PVC that is installed during the slab pour that goes from a kitchen or dining room wall receptacle to the island location.

On the rough in, some UF is pulled, and when the island is finally installed, the UF is pulled through some "smurf tube" for physical protection inside the cabinet, and finally into a PVC old work box.

That's pretty much how we do it here on the east coast, except we use NM and we can bring it up into the island via the basement.

physis

That part of town is worse than not a vacation and I hope it wasn't 4th st. I can't even think of a hotel along the train. Certainly not one I'd recommend. Sounds like a lot of people we work for aren't so different.

Doing these for remodle, like most of what I do, is at best very difficult to make code compliant.

It's kind of funny the way the NEC doesn't mind if you have a hard time making it code. But this one, sometimes boarders on not possible.

physis

Dude, you were in Oakland.

I'm used to these neighborhoods and weigh 230 at somethin over 6 feet, but dude.

For over there you weren't in the worst area at least.

:D :D

Edit: definite hazard pay!

[ January 13, 2005, 05:47 PM: Message edited by: physis ]

mtn_elec

Sorry guys, but weren't you suppouse to answer my question if Bx was good for wiring an island?lol

physis

Well, I was on my way to doing that in a round about way. Turns out that where I'm at MC probably wont pass. In other places it might.

I would ask my local building department because this is an area that has a good chance of being treated differently than what's prescribed by the NEC.

luke warmwater

Originally posted by mtn_elec:
Here in New Jersey, Most of the houses have the basement as high as 7'with exceptions, so there is no problem with running the wire underneath. But isn't Bx enough protection for this?
Where in New Jersey?

When I worked in North Jersey, it was NM into basement and up through bottom of island to old-work (cut-in) box.

Status
Not open for further replies.