Kitchen Receptacles

Status
Not open for further replies.

RJRUBLE

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
In 210.52 it fully explains about Receptacle requirements in a kitchen. My question is that the builder I work for wants to replace 1 of the DUPLEX receptacles with a the new Leviton T5630-W Combination Device. If not familiar it is a single 3 prong receptacle and 2 USB outlets. So you would loose 1 actual receptacle. Does the code specify if a receptacle in a kitchen needs to be a duplex or will this combo device suffice. I am concerned that a homeowner may miss and want the additional spot to plug something in. Any thoughts?

eprice

Look at the definitions for "Receptacle" and "Receptacle Outlet". 210.52 describes where receptacle outlets need to be placed. A single receptacle satisfies the definition of a receptacle outlet. A duplex is not required. Your thoughts about what the homeowner may want are design considerations, not covered by the code.

Last edited:

eprice

Personally, I have never been in a situation where I wished I had another counter top receptacle. On the other hand, Several times I have wished I had one of those USB ports to charge my I-pod.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
It's also more powerful than any of the competition (3.0A rated IIRC).
That is more than the USB standard allows, unless it is the sum of both USB receptacles.
Newer devices can handshake with a special supply to negotiate higher voltages and currents, but I doubt they integrated a supply of that type.

PetrosA

That is more than the USB standard allows, unless it is the sum of both USB receptacles.
Newer devices can handshake with a special supply to negotiate higher voltages and currents, but I doubt they integrated a supply of that type.

I know that one of my customers bought one from HD (Cooper, I think) that was rated at 1.7A and it couldn't charge his iPad. I'd go for the Hubbell...

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
That makes sense as Apple choose to ignore the standard USB specifications.

I have also heard that for Apple to recognize the USB cable as being connected to one of "their" chargers you need to short the data wires, 2 and 3, together. I have not confirmed this myself.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Dennis reading this old thread raised a question to me. On a dedicated 20 amp line you can put one 15a duplex? I always thought you had to use a 20a duplex.
A 15 amp duplex is two receptacles and would be permitted to be the only wiring device on a 20 amp circuit.

Status
Not open for further replies.