Kitchen small app. question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can someone please help me understand 210.52b (1) (2) & (3)
b1 leads me to think that 2 small app. ckts are to feed the whole dang kitchen?
b2 says clearly that no other outlets are to be on the 2 small app. ckts.
b3 is back telling me to spread those 2 circuits all over the kit. again?

I do commercial work exclusively, so please forgive my ignorance.
Im doing a small remodel as a favor for a family member and want to get it right.

Also, 210.52 c1 is telling me that spacing recpts. every 4' above the counter will meet the "no point along the wall line is more then 24" "?

Thank you for your support in this matter!

ultramegabob

the way I understand it, you need at least 2 circuits for the countertops but can have more if needed, nothing else can be fed off of them.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
You need to have 2 sabc in the kitchen that feeds the counter recept. The circuits may extend to the dining room also but if you are in the 2008 code then the circuits would need AFCI. Today most EC will have a circuit for the dining room and land two sabc for the countertop. The refrig. could be one on one of those circuits.

Where the NEC says no other outlets it is meaning that you cannot extend the sabc to a living room or area not mentioned in (B)(1)

Spacing should be every 4' feet. The NEC is looking at the fact that some appliances may have a 2' cord so you must be able to reach an outlet from anywhere on the counter with that 2' cord. If you have a sink or range, etc that breaks the counter then you must have a recep. within 2' of those units and then every 4'

iwire

Staff member
Can someone please help me understand 210.52b (1) (2) & (3)

Sure.

At least two 20 amp circuits to supply all the receptacles in areas mentioned 210.52(B)(1) but not the lighting.

No other outlets other than the ones required by this section. No lighting, no feeding a receptacles in the bedrooms etc.

All over the kitchen, pantry, dinning room etc.

Also, 210.52 c1 is telling me that spacing recpts. every 4' above the counter will meet the "no point along the wall line is more then 24" "?

Yes, at a minimum.

Don't forget GFCI protection as well.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
remember the NEC is a minimum requirement. You may have as many SABCs as you wish. Feed each outlet seperately if you desire.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
I am not sure what this person is telling you. Neither of the 2 required circuits needs to be "spread out over the kitchen."

Case in point. I had my main panel replaced when I bought this house, and the EC did a few other tasks for me. I have countertops on opposite walls in my kitchen. On one side, there are two receptacles on the left side of the sink. The EC placed these two on one circuit, and nothing else is on that circuit. There are also two receptacles on the right side of the sink. The EC placed these two on one circuit, and nothing else is on that circuit. On the other side of the kitchen, there are three receptacles above that countertop. All three are on the same circuit, and nothing else is on that circuit. Finally the fridge is on a circuit that it shares with nothing else. For what it's worth, so is the microwave, and so is the stove's 120 volt feed. There are six circuits that feed receptacles within the kitchen, and they are not "spread out." Each circuit feeds a small area.

To complete the story, the overhead light and the one receptacle mounted near the floor are on separate circuits from the ones I describe above. But neither of them is a SABC.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Two or more.
Two or more.
Two or more.

I do commercial work exclusively, so please forgive my ignorance.
Im doing a small remodel as a favor for a family member and want to get it right.
That's what we're here for. :)

Right. It's the kitchen "2-4-4-2 rule" counterpart to the "6-12-12-6 rule" for other rooms (which also applies to non-counter-top kitchen receptacles.

Thank you for your support in this matter!
Ees okay, Senor!

jimport

Occupation
Master Electrician
Do not protect any refrigerator or freezer with a GFCI.

Would you like to eleaborate on this? If the GFI trips the appliance is faulty.

GFIs protect human life. Which is more important to save; food or people?

FWIW refrigerators in commercial kitchens are REQUIRED to be GFI protected.

Status
Not open for further replies.