Klein ET450 Circuit Tracer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jimmy7

Occupation
Electrician
Hello,

Is anyone familiar with the Klein ET450 circuit tracer? Is it possible to trace the location of a residential electrical service with this tool? The utility in the area will not trace the service conductor location on private property

Happy New Year!

synchro

Occupation
EE
I'm not familiar with that particular tracer, but for the most part they all have similar principles of operation.
If you want to trace the service conductor location between the meter and service disconnect, you could connect the transmitter unit so that it sends its 33KHz test current through the neutral conductor (and/or metallic conduit if used). Because the neutral conductor should be bonded to the enclosures of both the meter and service disconnect, you would just need to connect one transmitter lead to the meter housing, and the other lead to the disconnect (for example, to its ground bar). I don't think it matters which transmitter lead you use on each end because there's no significant voltage involved. You would use a single piece of wire to extend one of the transmitter test leads so that the transmitter can send a test current around a circuit loop formed by the service neutral (or conduit) and back through the extra test wire. The test wire should be kept several feet away from where you think the service conductors are located, so that it doesn't cancel the magnetic field from the service conductors.
Then just use the receiver unit in a normal manner to trace the conductors.

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min from the winged horses.
Occupation
Licensed Electrician
Hello,

Is anyone familiar with the Klein ET450 circuit tracer? Is it possible to trace the location of a residential electrical service with this tool? The utility in the area will not trace the service conductor location on private property

Happy New Year!
Not really. You'll spend all day trying to make it work and never being sure which is embarrassing. Better to use an underground locator.

cadpoint

Did you call 811 ? There are usually two or three days out on location services.
I'm frankly surprised that the utility didn't steer you to 811.

I only say that cause there have been commercials on TV on Private property chasing lines,
or lack of usage of the service.

Status
Not open for further replies.