Klein ET450 tracing giving me false reading need a little help if possible

Status
Not open for further replies.

dfphoto

New User
Occupation
appliance repair
Dear group, I'm an appliance tech apologies if not being an electrician is not allowed. I own a condo and have an open Line wire from a light switch to an outlet in a bedroom. My Klein ET450 has not been as great so far.
1. Tested continuity with a wire to wire connection using a DMM black no continuity, red and white have continuity.
2. With 120v no voltage on the Black, White, or ground wires. I'm assuming an Open in a junction box, we have had about 4 smaller earthquakes lately.
3. I have an ET450 and the ethernet VDV500 tone generator as well. Both showed a potential issue in the drywall near a corner. Opening the wall resulted in a solid wire false reading.
4. I tried the unit following the directions with ground using a water line pipe and the in box ground with the same results.
5. I tried different sensitivity settings from 5-6-7(8 is max) currently showing me two potential areas on a different wall 1 above the light switch and another about 6 feet away above an outlet that is fed by a different circuit.

The condo has 3/4 drywall thickness and I am not trusting my meters since the above, wondering if I might be doing something you don't agree with. I let the meter have 5-10 sec to send the beam out before moving a few inches, and I have tried letting the meter go to 0 before getting a reading. a I can normally get some reading. 10-20 and a few areas I see changes in the 30-50% range but that's exactly what happened on hole #1.

On setting 5 with no power I get about 55 on the drywall as a solid reading on 6 I can get to 99(max) the manual said to use the middle scale where possible. On level 7 I was not placing the (hand wand) on the drywall at all and to get some readings on areas where I was seeing 0 or close to 0 (4-13). Thank you if you can help me out.

From the manual:
TRACING WIRES
1. Connect the Transmitter to the circuit to be traced and power on
the Transmitter.
NOTE: The direct ground and remote ground connection methods
can be used on both energized and de-energized circuits, but an
energized circuit produces a higher signal strength.
2. Power on the Receiver, and use the Increase Sensitivity button 4,
to set the Sensitivity Level to 8 (highest level).
3. Starting a few feet from the Transmitter, slowly move the Receiver
around to locate the direction of the strongest signal. The wires may
be located behind the wall, in the ceiling, or underneath the floor.
NOTE: If the signal strength displays "99", the signal is saturated.
Use the Decrease Sensitivity button 5 to reduce the sensitivity level.
NOTE: If the signal strength is too weak, use the Remote Ground
connection method (if not done already) to strengthen the signal.
4. Continue to follow the location of the highest signal strength until
the destination is reached.
NOTE: If the circuit is de-energized, the Transmitter can be
connected to the neutral and ground wires, which will create a
stronger closed loop signal, as neutral and ground are bonded
together at the panel.

Last edited:

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Please try diychatroom.com

This site is designed for:
  • Electrical Contractors
  • Electricians
  • Engineers
  • Inspectors
  • Instructors
  • Other electrically related individuals
This NEC® Forum is for those in the electrical and related industries. Questions of a "How-To" nature by persons not involved in the electrical industry will be removed without notice.

Knowledge and the practical application of the National Electrical Code is an essential part of all electrical installations. If it's important for you to understand the National Electrical Code, then look no further.

To better help us serve you, please be sure to update your account details with your occupation field and location if you have not done so already. You can access your account details by clicking on your account name at the top right of the page when on the forums.

Status
Not open for further replies.