Kohler 20KW Genny wire

Status
Not open for further replies.

wilm105

New User
Occupation
Retired
Hello everyone, I hope all are staying self quarantined and safe. Have a bit more time and good weather I decided to move up automating my standby system. I picked up an ailing Kohler 20RESA genny and got it running great, I have a 200 amp service at the house so the ATS is also a 200 amp rated switch. My issue is with the wire to use, I need to run about 125 feet to the meter from the genny. Half of that run will be in conduit and the other half through my attic and a wall to the disconnect. My first thought was to use tray cable so I can run it in conduit and just staple up in the attic....but Holy Moly is that stuff expensive (I would rather use copper #4). Just recently I learned about 2-2-2-4 Aluminum Mobile Home Feeder Cable. Any thoughts on the better? Can that wire be stapled up or am I back to conduit the entire job? Only 13 feet will be exposed (schd 80) and another 30 underground (In schd 40) the balance will be in the residence (attic)
Thanks in advance for your help and suggestions
PS, I am in Farmingdale NY and Nassau makes everything difficult and mysterious...including the setbacks from property lines

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
I am closing this thread, in accordance with the Forum rules.

This site is designed for:

• Contractors
  • Electricians
  • Engineers
  • Inspectors
  • Instructors
  • Other electrically related individuals

* This NEC Forum is for those in the electrical and related industries. Questions of a "How-To" nature by persons not involved in the electrical industry will be removed without notice.
If you feel this action to be in error, feel free to contact me via PM to explain.

A reminder to all members, if you see a questionable post, feel free to report it by clicking the “Report” icon at the bottom left corner of the post.

Status
Not open for further replies.