Kohler Generator issue

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys, i was wondering if anyone has experience with kohler generators. I have mostly installed generacs to this point and i dont have a clue how to troubleshoot a kohler. I have a newly installed 30 KW RESA generator with a 200 amp service rated RDT transfer switch. The customer bought the generator and hired us to install. I have the unit and transfer switch installed and I cant get the generator to communicate with the transfer switch. With the generator in the auto position, I hold the test button down on the TS for 3 seconds. I get a slow flashing red light indicating that the switch is trying to start the gen, after a minute or so it goes to a steady red flashing light. The generator doesnt fire or test off the TS. I have the two start leads in the generator #3 and #4 (on TB1) wired to 3 and 4 on the TS. I do have some extra leads ran for the options, but only 3 and 4 are connected. When the generator is in the auto position, there is a .3 on the screen. the last kohler i wired was 10 years ago. I know how to trouble shoot a generac, but i am lost with this unit. I am going to turn the customer over to a certified kohler maintenance tech for servicing, but i would really like to have the unit functioning properly while they choose their contract. any ideas? the unit does run perfectly when being tested manually in run mode. Thanks, any help is appreciated.

stevebea

Hey guys, i was wondering if anyone has experience with kohler generators. I have mostly installed generacs to this point and i dont have a clue how to troubleshoot a kohler. I have a newly installed 30 KW RESA generator with a 200 amp service rated RDT transfer switch. The customer bought the generator and hired us to install. I have the unit and transfer switch installed and I cant get the generator to communicate with the transfer switch. With the generator in the auto position, I hold the test button down on the TS for 3 seconds. I get a slow flashing red light indicating that the switch is trying to start the gen, after a minute or so it goes to a steady red flashing light. The generator doesnt fire or test off the TS. I have the two start leads in the generator #3 and #4 (on TB1) wired to 3 and 4 on the TS. I do have some extra leads ran for the options, but only 3 and 4 are connected. When the generator is in the auto position, there is a .3 on the screen. the last kohler i wired was 10 years ago. I know how to trouble shoot a generac, but i am lost with this unit. I am going to turn the customer over to a certified kohler maintenance tech for servicing, but i would really like to have the unit functioning properly while they choose their contract. any ideas? the unit does run perfectly when being tested manually in run mode. Thanks, any help is appreciated.

I had this same problem last summer on the same Kohler setup that you are describing. The problem was on TB1 terminations, there is some confusion. Look for #3 and #4 on the conductor insulation, I think it ends up being #4 and #5 on TB1. ;)

Daja7

Anyone have ideas?

If this is a new install, Kohler will not allow the warranty unless started up by a certified Kohler Dealer. So i would suggest you locate one for the start up and they would be able to trouble shoot as well. This will cost but i always include it in the install price.

Status
Not open for further replies.