Kohler vs Blue Star

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rock86

Occupation
Electrical Engineer / Electrician
I have a project which we spec'd a 480V 25kW Kohler LP generator but the client's contractor would like to use Blue Star. I am not too familiar with them. The numbers look similar, but I was curious if anyone has had experience with Blue Star. Good, bad, ugly? Kohler does offer a longer warranty based on years, but the same 2000 hours.

tthh

Occupation
Retired Engineer
Unless there is some serious price difference, Kohler is going to be much more widely serviced and parts, etc. The thing about generators is that they don't run often enough for you to know they aren't working right. You just want reliability and serviceability.

Rock86

Occupation
Unless there is some serious price difference, Kohler is going to be much more widely serviced and parts, etc. The thing about generators is that they don't run often enough for you to know they aren't working right. You just want reliability and serviceability.
Agreed.

Rock86

Occupation
Never heard of Blue Star generators. Wonder if they are a re-branded Generac?
They use PSI motors, with Stamford windings. Not that it is uncommon to use a mix match of parts, but I like that Kohler backs the whole product.

Status
Not open for further replies.