KVA to MVA

Status
Not open for further replies.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
Re: KVA to MVA

The "M stands for one million. The "K" stands for one thousand. That's why Basra's formula works.

al hildenbrand

Occupation
Electrical Contractor, Electrical Consultant, Electrical Engineer

Zog,

That's the way I learned it, also.

Inside a sentence the "k" of kVA is like any other first letter of a word.

V is short for Volt, a man's last name;

A is also short for a man's last name, Ampere.

Being short for proper names, "V" and "A" are capitalized.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation

Originally posted by al hildenbrand:
V is short for Volt, a man's last name. . . .
Being short for proper names, "V" and "A" are capitalized.
His name was Alessandro Volta.

The "V" and "A" do not stand for names, even though the words they represent were chosen to honor two persons. The letters stand for the common words (not proper words, not capitalized) "volt" and "ampere." The authors of many textbooks have chosen to use capitalized letters "V" and "I" to represent the phasor quantities of voltage and current, and the lower case letters "v" and "i" to represent the same quantities as functions of time. The letter "A" (or "a") is not used to represent either current or amperes. It is only used as part of the symbol for apparent power (VA) or the symbol for reactive power (VAR), with or without a preceeding quantifier (e.g., "K" or "M" or "G").

The lower case letter k" is used more frequently to represent "kilo-," but it is not incorrect to use the upper case "K."

al hildenbrand

Occupation
Electrical Contractor, Electrical Consultant, Electrical Engineer

Oops. Thanks, Charlie. :eek: So much for my learning and/or my memory.

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
Professional Electrical Engineer

The US Nation Institute of Standards and Technology has some very interesting reading about the International System of Units (SI). It does state the ?k? prefix is lowercase. The ?A?(a basic unit) and ?V?(a "specially named" derived unit) are officially uppercase when referenced in a formula. I usually don?t make a big deal about either issue except in technical papers.

One of the most fascinating things to me is that most of the basic SI units (meter, kilogram, second, ampere, kelvin, mole, and candela) have been defined or officially redefined in my lifetime

O

oliver100

One of the most fascinating things to me is that most of the basic SI units (meter, kilogram, second, ampere, kelvin, mole, and candela) have been defined or officially redefined in my lifetime
Yes indeed. And since they keep doing it isn't it time to introduce the [$] for everything else not covered by SI? ;) ;) ;)

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member

Its also interesting that while the 2002 NEC went metric, it did not include motors, as the metric desgination for motors is kW. Or perhaps I should say the SI term is kW.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation

Originally posted by tom baker: Or perhaps I should say the SI term is kW.
Of course it is. One "watt," as expressed in its most basic units, is equal to one "kilogram ? meter (squared) / second (cubed). Those are all SI units. So you see, we've been using metric units for a long time.

Status
Not open for further replies.