Kw output at lowered voltage calculation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

tadavidson

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Related to a recent post in other forum. At 480volts 3 phase into a 15kw heater how much less is the kw output if the voltage is only 455v.

Ingenieur

Would I be correct in I= P÷Ex1.73 then p=IxE÷1.73?

p = 1.73 x v x i if pf is 1, as it is in this case

v goes down but so does i because R of the heater is the same
p = v^2 / R

take the ratio
15 = 480^2 x R
p? = 455^2 x R
R cancels
p? = 15 x (455/480)^2 = 13.5

Electric-Light

Related to a recent post in other forum. At 480volts 3 phase into a 15kw heater how much less is the kw output if the voltage is only 455v.

(new/old)^2 = n
old watt * n = new watt

only good for resistance load that remains constant. It will be quite a bit off for a light bulb.

topgone

since R is constant

(455/480)^2 as much 90% or 10% lower ~13.5 kw

Your formula is the reduced torque when voltage supplied is lower than the rated voltage.
As you know, Power is a function of torque and speed. The motor will run slower when the voltage is lower so the power drawn by the motor will be lesser than your guesstimate.
Power = wT = 2 x pi x rot. speed x Torque

jumper

Your formula is the reduced torque when voltage supplied is lower than the rated voltage.
As you know, Power is a function of torque and speed. The motor will run slower when the voltage is lower so the power drawn by the motor will be lesser than your guesstimate.

Er, what motor? OP said heater which kinda implies a resistive load to me.

Not that I got anything against motors and your info is great, but,,,,,,:?

Ingenieur

he's talking about a resistance heater?

Status
Not open for further replies.