L.V and line voltage in conduit

Status
Not open for further replies.

D.Rater

My understanding is that you can't have them in conduit together.Why? What then is the best way to do this; h/o wants GFI's and l.v. lights on stairs and deck.I'm trying to not clutter the outside wall with pvc and I'd LIKE to locate the transformer on basement joist.

websparky

Re: L.V and line voltage in conduit

Start with 725.52 for the first answer.

I would suggest running the LV wire exposed on the underside of the deck. Of course, you would need the proper type of wire.

busman

Occupation
Master Electrician / Electrical Engineer

Also please note that most LV transformers for outdoor lights are listed for OUTDOOR use only.

Mark

thinfool

you can't have them in conduit together.

I think you will find that this is not true. In fact, it is done all the time under the following conditions:

The conductors must be insulated with the same class of insulation. In practice that means that 12v or 24v conductors must have thhn 600v insulation if they are installed in a conduit with a 120v receptacle circuit.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician

I think you will find that this is not true. In fact, it is done all the time under the following conditions:

The conductors must be insulated with the same class of insulation. In practice that means that 12v or 24v conductors must have thhn 600v insulation if they are installed in a conduit with a 120v receptacle circuit.
Many of the low voltage lighting systems have a listed Class 2 power supply, and if so, then 725.55(A) prohibits the placement of these conductors in a common raceway.
Don

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician

Don is correct, if the low voltage conductors are classified as class 2 then they cannot go into a conduit with 120 volt power conductors regardless of their insulation rating. It is a common misconception that they can if the insulation values for all of the conductors are rated for the highest voltage then it is permissible. This is untrue since it would violate 725.55 as Don mentioned.

Status
Not open for further replies.