La Quinta

Status
Not open for further replies.

wirebender

Just got a set of plans for a 3 story La Quinta Inn. Anybody have any experience with these?

One question I have is about the outside lighting. Plans call for it to be controlled by photo cell and/or time clock and contactors, but it doesn't give any specifics.

Do they normally turn all outside lighting on for the entire night? If so would there be any problem with just turning the whole panel on and off with a photo cell controlled contactor? Is this even feasible for a 150A 3 phase panel?

Also, the plans say to get with the pool contractor about the pool and spa equipment. Does anyone know what they normally use in La Quintas?

I am making a list of things to request info on, but thought maybe someone here has done some La Quintas and could give me some heads up.

Thanks,
Tony

480sparky

Usually both the time clock and photocell are involved, not one or the other.

Two schemes can be used:
1. The timer turns the lights on during the night, and the photocell is to turn on the lights if a storm comes through and it gets dark.
2. The photocell turns the lights on at dark, and the timer turns them off at a specific time.

This isn't specific to La Quinta... just what I've done in 'the hospitality industry'.

As for turning the entire panel on & off, you'd need a contactor rated for 150 amps. Ka-ching! I think it would be cheaper just to use standard multi-pole 30a lighting contactors.

e57

RFI (Request for Information) from the source of the info would be in order... Also you may want to check into your local energy codes - some of this type of thing may be required and be very specific on top of what they may be specifying....

FYI - La Cuenta in Spanish is the "The Bill".... Or "The Sum Owed" - funny name for a hotel chain..... :rolleyes: (If pronounced slightly wrong sounds like La Quinta - "The Fifth" - and vise versa)

Anyway short of have all lighting being controlled at EXACTLY THE SAME TIME - I would suggest you wiegh the option of having many photocells control the lighting in only the areas they serve locally - as a 1/2 dozen photo cells are going to be cheaper than a contactor of that size. Or do a few small contactors and a few photo cells. Timers can be a hassle if mechanical and do not reset for outage or daylight.

A number of commercial lighting controls companies make some pretty reliable multi-pole astro timers that have battery back-up and track season and time for dusk and dawn - and can also easily have photo cell added to them. And may serve you better than a single huge contactor for a single panel for larger systems.

Like these two:
<$$$$
http://www.wattstopper.com/products/productline_list.html?category=17&type=Commercial

>$$$$$$$$$$
http://www.synergylightingcontrols.com/

iwire

Staff member
Never worked on a La Quinta Inn but worked a number of different hotels, found them to be built on a shoe string and it seemed the prints where intentionally vague.

Site lighting / indoor nighttime lighting control was different in each one.

Photocells on each fixture, central control with an fancy panel, contacted panels, multiple small contactors etc.

Security lighting is usually on during all periods of darkness while some of the decorative outdoor lighting may be shut down at some point.

Like Mark mentioned, send RFIs. I like to send an RFI with a question and my own proposed solution, many times it will be approved how I would like to do it.

Last edited:

nakulak

I'm my limited experience, they usually use the photo cell with a timeclock as override. Large chains are picky about all their lights coming on and off at same time, and contactor is often required due to number of ckts.

Status
Not open for further replies.