Labeling of Disconnects

Status
Not open for further replies.

PhaseShift

Is there anywhere in the NEC that requires disconnects to be labeled with their source of power? How about the load to which they feed?

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
110.22 Identification of Disconnecting Means.
(A) General. Each disconnecting means shall be legibly marked to indicate its purpose unless located and arranged so the purpose is evident. The marking shall be of sufficient durability to withstand the environment involved.

glene77is

Don,

Is there a section that requires that different Sources,
arriving at the same distribution point (facility panel board),
be identified ?

I can see a safety hazard in not having the different sources ID'd.

kwired

Electron manager
Don,

Is there a section that requires that different Sources,
arriving at the same distribution point (facility panel board),
be identified ?

I can see a safety hazard in not having the different sources ID'd.

(B) Marking. Each service disconnect shall be permanently marked to identify it as a service disconnect.

This would be for service sources, just having that identification should tell you the source is from utility.

For on site emergency power sources

(A) Emergency Sources. A sign shall be placed at the service-entrance equipment, indicating type and location of on-site emergency power sources.

For other sources check the code article related to that type of source - there will likely be some requirement there.

kingpb

Occupation
Engineer, Registered
Forget about NEC references; I think a good question is why would you not label them with the panel/source they are fed from, and the load they serve?

Why only do the required minimum, i.e. NEC?

My god man, have we all become minimalists?:roll:

kwired

Electron manager
Forget about NEC references; I think a good question is why would you not label them with the panel/source they are fed from, and the load they serve?

Why only do the required minimum, i.e. NEC?

My god man, have we all become minimalists?:roll:

If you have a simple transfer switch for selecting utility or generator power and it is alread marked to indicate this and there is no other power sources why would you need any other labeling?

Kind of like a disconnect right next to a piece of equipment with a raceway between the disconnect and the equipment, with nothing else around that it may serve. What do you think most people will think the disconnect is for? Or even a disconnect mounted in or on the piece of equipment?

glene77is

King,

"I think a good question is why would you not label them
with the panel/source they are fed from, and the load they serve?"

Excellent rule of thumb. :)

kingpb

Occupation
Engineer, Registered
If you have a simple transfer switch for selecting utility or generator power and it is alread marked to indicate this and there is no other power sources why would you need any other labeling?

Kind of like a disconnect right next to a piece of equipment with a raceway between the disconnect and the equipment, with nothing else around that it may serve. What do you think most people will think the disconnect is for? Or even a disconnect mounted in or on the piece of equipment?

For the example you provide the piece of equipment may be obvious, but where is the disconnect fed from? That would need a label, and since your providing a label, then why not put the equipment number that ii feeds on there as well.

Many facilities use databases to keep track of all there equipment. It is a good practice for these numbers to appear on the designated pieces of equipment, and on any associated switches, disconnects, panels, etc.

kwired

Electron manager
For the example you provide the piece of equipment may be obvious, but where is the disconnect fed from? That would need a label, and since your providing a label, then why not put the equipment number that ii feeds on there as well.

Many facilities use databases to keep track of all there equipment. It is a good practice for these numbers to appear on the designated pieces of equipment, and on any associated switches, disconnects, panels, etc.

from my previous post:

If you have what I described it is labeled "utility" and "generator" The utility side is service fed. The required marking of "service disconnect" means exactly that. Only one that can de-energize that is the POCO. If there is only one alternate power source then that one must be it - may not hurt to identify its location - many times it is pretty obvious.

Status
Not open for further replies.