Labeling of rooftop exhaust fans and disconnect

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is there a section in the NEC that requires "permanent labeling" of rooftop fan equipment on a high rise building. The installer is simply using a magic marker labeling the fan number and breaker number located in the electrical room below the roof.

Also is a disconnect required for each fan?

The HVAC firm is replacing exhaust fans on the roof and is not installing a disconnect switch on the junction box of the connection. The building was built about 20 years ago. Isn't a disconnect means required for each connection?

Thank you

electricalist

iwire please correct me where i may be wrong.
I believe a MEANS of disconnect would need to be 30ft or in sight and if not then the disconnecting means needs to be a lockable type,this doesnt include they disconnect iwire mentioned. Out of sight and 30ft being where someone servicing it cant see or be aware of someone energizing it.
Here the panel must be labeled in a typed fasion. I think that would depend on what code cycle.
With no disrespect to the original post. You have the right to submit a change order and have them use what you consider code compliant means of disconnect and labeling as long as its not less than the code requires. Its only money fell free to give them all you would like.

kwired

Electron manager
2014 NEC 110.22(A) :

Each disconnecting means shall be legibly marked to indicate its purpose unless located and arranged so the purpose is evident. The marking shall be of sufficient durability to withstand the environment involved.

kwired

Electron manager
Now the question is,,,does a permanent marker qualify? I think if the install is getting inspected the ahj will have the answer.
In some ways it is more permanent then a stick on label, but then one can also play the 110.12 card and reject anything that may not be done in a neat or workmanlike manner.

electricalist

In some ways it is more permanent then a stick on label, but then one can also play the 110.12 card and reject anything that may not be done in a neat or workmanlike manner.
A label maker is the ideal tool to have on the truck for these types of things. We have a few floating from truck to truck.
The AHJ complimented my penmanship on a panel schedule .( I sent a copy to the office to be typed and was waiting to have it emailed back so I could print it out.) I said you think I write like a girl dont you? He laughed and said send him a pic of the typed one,but gave the green tag.

Ponchik

Occupation
Electronologist
The disconnect has to be visible within 50' of the unit, Or the lockable disconnect rule may apply if it is not within 50'.

The labeling material will be different depending on the environment. Depending on the environment I will use sharpie, field printed label, aluminum label, PVC label.

Status
Not open for further replies.