Labeling requirement

Status
Not open for further replies.

mhanson

Occupation
General Journeyman Electrician
Is there, or has there ever been a labeling requirement at the meter/main , when the residential service has a non metallic water main.?
Thank you

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

mhanson

Occupation
"Not that I know of.
Which city requires this?"
Mountain View, CA.
Inspector claims this is a plumbing code requirement,and had me install a label in the new enclosure.
I've seen this before and thought it is part of the NEC.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
If it's in the plumbing code then I don't see why the electrician needs to worry about installing a plumbing label. What would the label say and why does it matter if the piping is not metallic?

Ponchik

Occupation
Electronologist
"Not that I know of.
Which city requires this?"
Mountain View, CA.
Inspector claims this is a plumbing code requirement,and had me install a label in the new enclosure.
I've seen this before and thought it is part of the NEC.

Did you ask him to verify his claim by showing a plumbing code section?

mhanson

Occupation
No, not a battle im interested in pursuing.
I'm simply wondering if this requirement exists in the NEC I thought I've read this before.
Thanks

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
I taught a class years ago for pump installers on grounding, it was in the UPC, which I don't have, and I deleted the presentation. I have a copy at work, can find out next week

Ponchik

Occupation
Electronologist
So It sounds like there is no NEC requirement?

Not NEC related.
I have contacted two inspectors (one is plumbing supervisor) and one plumber to get their take
on it. Plumber has never heard of the requirement and one inspector verified that two local cities do require the labeling but could not get me a code section.
I should hear from the supervisor next week. Also Tom may find the UPC section.

mhanson

Occupation
Edward,
Thank you so much for your dilligence, I appreciate your thuroughness
Michael h..

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
The requirement comes from an installation standard from CPVC.

http://www.iapmo.org/2010 California Plumbing Code/Appendices/Appendix I/IS 20.pdf

Go to page 426 section 2.9.5

So the source you list is shown as an excerpt from the California Plumbing Code, which specifically adopts this IAPMO standard as part of the state code.
I wonder how many other states or local jurisdictions have done this?

The IAPMO standard by itself has no force (unless maybe if incorporated into the manufacturer's installation instructions, which seems unlikely.)

Ponchik

Occupation
Electronologist
So the source you list is shown as an excerpt from the California Plumbing Code, which specifically adopts this IAPMO standard as part of the state code.
I wonder how many other states or local jurisdictions have done this?

The IAPMO standard by itself has no force (unless maybe if incorporated into the manufacturer's installation instructions, which seems unlikely.)

This is from the supervisor:

The requirement for signage at or inside the main electrical service panel comes from the Installation Standards (IS) for CPVC. This IS for CPVC is IS 20-2005 which requires identification at the electrical service panel that the building has non-metallic interior water piping.The requirement may be in the manufacturer's installation instructions for PEX piping, however, there is no language in the 2016 CPC Installation Standard for PEX specifically stating this. Please note that PEX-AL-PEX is not an approved piping system for water distribution systems within a building, and PE-AL-PE is questionable.

The body of the California Plumbing Code (CPC) does not have such language or requirements so enforcement may vary from jurisdiction to jurisdiction.

The questionable item is that the 2016 CPC revised the Appendix I (Installation Standards) to eliminate all of the Installation Standards except it added IS 31-2014, which as mentioned, is the Installation Standard for PEX, although I do not see anywhere in the standard that requires the signage. Again, the specific PEX manufacturer's installation instructions may have the requirement.

On a side note, many jurisdictions, including the City of San Jose, opted to adopt the 2013 CPC Installation Standards into their Municipal Code. Therefore, when installing CPVC in a building in the City of San Jose, a sign in or on the electrical main service panel stating that the building has non-metallic water piping is required.

Status
Not open for further replies.