Labling Requirements for disconnects

Status
Not open for further replies.

abqjfc

Are disconnects required to be labled other than with their ratings (208, 30A, etc.). ?By that I mean are the disconnecting means required to have lables with circuit information? ?I.e. This disconnect is fed from Bldg 362, Panel 1A, breaker 13 ?or Panel 4 breaker 2, etc. ?Especially if the disconnect is identifiable with the equipment. ?The disconnect is mounted on or near the lathe, or mill, etc.

ryan_618

Re: Labling Requirements for disconnects

Each disconnecting means (including circuit breakers) must indicate their function clearly. With that in mind, I would say you must identify your equipment clearly, so it corresponds with the disconnect marking. For example, A/C unit #7. The code doesn't require you to mark the equipment with language stating what or where the diconnect is though.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer

many times the function of the disconnect is quite obvious, such as when it is directly connected to a motor.

there are osha lockout and tagout requirements that require some form of written plan for how a piece of equipment is locked out. it is often easier to implement these requirements if there is some consistant labeling system in place.

it is also much easier to do troubleshooting if the power source is labeled on the disconnect.

having said all that, as best I can tell there is no specific requirement for labeling of a disconnect.

ryan_618

Originally posted by zog:
Dont forget the arc flash label Art 110.16
Why? It's not required on a cutout box. Only Switchboards, panelboards, meter socket enclosures and MCC's require this type of marking, per 110.16.

Status
Not open for further replies.