Lag screw or Clevice bolted on?

Status
Not open for further replies.

powerplay

i had been told in the past that the support for power authority's incoming cable had to be bolted to the structure, to take the wall down before the power drops to the road. It's also allowed to be able to put in a lag screw for support simply screwed into the structure...how reliable, when installed correctly is an lag screw with the ceramic holder for suporting power attached to a home?? ..any insight/experiences?

lakee911

I've seen the lag style pull out before. Generally on an older house its taken many years of abuse on long spans. Also, correct installation practices are key. If the hole is drilled too large or too close to the edge of a stud, it'll pull out much easier. There is probably a greater chance of failure with cheaply made equipment that we see all of the time too.

K8MHZ

Michigan. It's a beautiful peninsula, I've looked
Occupation
Electrician
i had been told in the past that the support for power authority's incoming cable had to be bolted to the structure, to take the wall down before the power drops to the road.

How many times have you seen a wall pulled down by triplex bolted to the wall with any kind of bolt? For that matter, do you think it's possible for a bulldozer to pull a wall down with only a single bolt as the attachment point?

It sounds like someone was exaggerating just a tad.

Open Neutral

Occupation
Engineer
How many times have you seen a wall pulled down by triplex bolted to the wall with any kind of bolt?

After our last nasty storm (aka Thundersnow) I was at the local Parks/Planning office. The 3-ph drop was across the yard, with a tree atop it; and the brick & block wall previously supporting same had a 4+ ft section on the ground too. Just leaving when I got there was the Detroit Diesel mech; you guessed it, the backup gen had failed as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.