landfill methane power plant

Status
Not open for further replies.

stevie b

My question is i'm inspecting a power plant that extracts methane out of a landfill, the gas is then compressed cooled, and fule for 3 16kva generators. The compressors and generators are in an open enviorment with fan forced ventilation equipped with detectors to increase speed of fans at 25% lel and shut down at 50% lel should this be a class 1 div 2? The owners rep tells me its not a classified location. Any input would help

mdshunk

Is the owner's rep an engineer? It's normally beyond the scope of the electrician or inspector's work to determine the classified location's boundries. The percentages you speak of seem okay to me, but that's only by gut instinct. Are there sealed and approved plans for this? If so, don't sweat it.

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
Professional Electrical Engineer
While Combustible Gas Detection Systems are a recognized protection technique, they have very limited applications - the application you have described is not one of them. See Section 500.7(K). Applications are limited to those described in 500.7(K)(1), (K)(2), or (K)(3).

The location is definitely Division 2.

Status
Not open for further replies.