Large MC Feeder Cable

Status
Not open for further replies.

mstrlucky74

So I was going to you use 4/c #600 MC cable for a temp situation. It was five sets and a horizontal run of about 40' from one switchboard to another. I was told it's too hard to work with and it's really only for risers...which I guess makes sense. It was suggested to use a 1/C 4/0 soow type cable. My thought was that would be 20 individual runs...that's a lot and more labor in my opinion. Any thoughts? Thanks ...and this is based on copper.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Copper 600 kcmil is hard to work with due to it's weight, since it temporary I would substitute aluminum MC. You might have trouble with the EGC for 2000 amps.

. It was suggested to use a 1/C 4/0 soow type cable. My thought was that would be 20 individual runs...that's a lot and more labor in my opinion.

It would probably be type SC, not SOOW, but its a lot more flexible than 600MC would be (makes that handling/bending easier). OTOH it's also fine-strand so the lugs needs to be rated for that.

Depending on how long "temporary" is, it might be cheaper to rent 4/0 copper and camlock pigtails. Of course, the devil is in the details. AL and cable tray might be the way to go.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
It would probably be type SC, not SOOW, but its a lot more flexible than 600MC would be (makes that handling/bending easier). OTOH it's also fine-strand so the lugs needs to be rated for that.

Depending on how long "temporary" is, it might be cheaper to rent 4/0 copper and camlock pigtails. Of course, the devil is in the details. AL and cable tray might be the way to go.

are you allowed to run temp power from a receptacle?

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
Don't see why not, it's done all the time. In this case, I was thinking of a whole set of female camlock pigtails on the source and male ones on the destination, with lots of 4/0 between.

I could see renting the cable and just running it between the two locations. I don't see how adding the camloks into the equation does anything for you though.

I would still not want that laying on the ground.

I don't see how adding the camloks into the equation does anything for you though.

Only that most of the places I rent from don't have much or any large bare-end cable (it's all camlock, so I thyink that way). If bare-end is available, might be easier to use for this (don't know... by using camlock cable & tails, you can have one person at each end installing the connections and a couple of helpers stringing the cables all at the same time).

If it had to run on the ground, that's a lot of YellowJacket to protect it. Better to build a stair over a trough, or just go overhead.

SceneryDriver

Occupation
Electrical and Automation Designer
Only that most of the places I rent from don't have much or any large bare-end cable (it's all camlock, so I thyink that way). If bare-end is available, might be easier to use for this (don't know... by using camlock cable & tails, you can have one person at each end installing the connections and a couple of helpers stringing the cables all at the same time).

If it had to run on the ground, that's a lot of YellowJacket to protect it. Better to build a stair over a trough, or just go overhead.

Look to staging and rigging rental houses. They have bare CamLocks with bare tails for lighting, sound, and rigging power tie ins. Contact PRG in Secacus, NJ. They're a HUGE rental house can can source what you need. That's really not that much CamLock cable for a large touring rock-n-roll show.

SceneryDriver

SceneryDriver
SceneryDriver

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Status
Not open for further replies.