Larger 2-gang plastic boxes

Status
Not open for further replies.

jeff48356

The standard blue Carlon 2-gang boxes for new construction are 32 cubic inches. However, I am often finding myself in a situation where the wires will exceed the capacity. Right now, I need one sized for 38 cubic inches. Do they make deeper 2-gang boxes for this purpose? I know that single-gang boxes are available in a variety of different capacities.

readydave8

re member
Occupation
electrician
/www.platt.com/platt-electric-supply/Electric-Boxes-and-Electric-Enclosures/Non-Metallic-Electrical-Boxes/search.aspx?SectionID=2&GroupID=35

If I'm reading this right is there a 43.5 cu 2gang a few down from top?

Knuckle Dragger

Master Electrician Electrical Contractor 01752
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
What eds said.
I like using these, especially for flush mount electric dryer receptacles, kitchen counter tops and bathroom.
[h=1]Allied Moulded P-442 Switch/Outlet Box, 2-Gang, Depth: 3-9/16", Nail-On, Non-Metallic[/h]

goldstar

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Carlon does make deeper boxes and I don't have the P/N of hand. However, be careful when picking them out. I believe they are made for 2 x 6 construction

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
There are many off the shelf metal box solutions. I'm often surprised that more people don't use them. There after more than just plastic boxes out there.

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min from the winged horses.
Occupation
Licensed Electrician

curt swartz

Electrical Contractor - San Jose, CA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I switched to Cantex EZ48 (2-gang) and EZ74 (3-gang) almost 10 years ago. In my opinion they are the best 2 and 3 gang NM boxes available. Since the have face-nail ears on both sides and nails they can be easily positioned on studs or in sheer walls which we have a lot of in CA.

For 1-gang it usually Allied P241 (24 cu-in). The size of Allied 2 and 3 gang boxes isn't bad but like Carlon they do not have any type of ear on the opposite side from the nail so more often than not they end up sticking out of the wall due to stud twisting.

For 2-gang applications using a 4SQ Deep and ring doesn't gain much space compared to most 2 gang NM boxes. Box is 30.5 and 5/8 ring is 5.5 so total is only 36.

Also been using more 4SQ deep with single gang rings for receptacles on custom residential projects. Lumber is so crappy and twisted it easier to mount a 4SQ box and ring to be flush with wall finish. Also many interior designers want receptacles horizontal so ring can be mounted either way.

The only Carlon boxes I'll use are the 1 & 2 gang adjustable and 4/0 with 16-24 bar. I would not use any of the other Carlon boxes even if they were free.

Status
Not open for further replies.